Notices

What should you do to your new porsche's paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Deadbroke
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should you do to your new porsche's paint?

Hey car care experts

I'm about to order a 2014 cayenne in umber metallic. My first new auto.

I've been told by several people who are fanatical about their cars:

-there is a significant chance that between production and my personal receipt that the car's paint will suffer from poor care
-there is nothing I can do when ordering the car to prevent this, and I'll probably also be forced to take a substandard clear bra
-because of this, I should take my car immediately to a top level detailing service and have them clean the brand new porsche, strip out whatever they added to the paint, and then have them professionally apply xpel to the front, and opti coat over the whole car

Such treatment is pretty expensive, but for someone without time to do much beyond a quick touchless or hand wash...the car will look amazing for years

Three questions for car care professionals: is this accurate?

Also: is there anything I can do when I order the car and talk to dealership to help my car's paint?

And: are there any steps I should add or remove from my list of things to do once I get my 2014 porsche cayenne
Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you have a very good relationship with the dealer/salesperson/GM, ask that they do not remove the white plastic wrap that protects the car in transport.

Here's the uber **** side:
Unless you know and personally verify that they used 0ppm water ( "0 hardness"), the car will be at risk for scratches. Ask that they do not wash the car with the same grubby microfiber towels that all the other cars on the lot get washed and dried with.

Get a recommendation for a reputable Porsche, MB, BMW, Audi detailer to inspect your paint and do some paint correction And Opticoat prior to X-pel.

You could invest in a CR Spotless or Optimum No Rinse for washes to prolong the exterior.

IMO, even the clearbra has a lifespan, so if you're going to keep the Cayenne for a long time, plan on replacing it as it ages. If you're the type to sell after 3-5 years, it'll help on resale.

GL.

Once you get over the craziness, just enjoy it and put plenty of miles on it.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:52 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[...I should take my car immediately to a top level detailing service and have them clean the brand new porsche, strip out whatever they added to the paint, and then have them professionally apply xpel to the front, and opti coat over the whole car]

I would definitely recommend the above. Tell us the area you live in and we can give you contact info on reliable professional detailer in your area
Old 07-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Deadbroke
3rd Gear

Southern New Jersey (in between Philadelphia and Atlantic City)
Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

great color choice I would agree. with TOWGT, if you can do some preventive do a full front clear film, then protect it possibly with a coating.

if you don't have the time a coating may make alot of sense.
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 07-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Deadbroke
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by detailersdomain
great color choice I would agree. with TOWGT, if you can do some preventive do a full front clear film, then protect it possibly with a coating.

if you don't have the time a coating may make alot of sense.
How much would you charge for a brand new 2014 Cayenne that came in for full opti-coat 2.0 + xpel over side mirrors and front?
Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

you can email me at phil@detailersdomain.com
Old 09-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 152 Posts

I am not a super fanatic but take care of my cars myself. My 2004 Cayenne S still gets complements and people can't believe it has 142K miles. Porsche does great, tough paint and with a few simple rules you will keep your car looking better than just about anone else on the road.

1. reconsider the color, darker colors tend to show flaws more so if that bothers you be aware. I chose silver and it still looks great.
2. stay away from all carwashes unless it is absolutely necessary.
3. Clay bar and wax at least twice a year and use micrifiber towels to dry and use a detailer spray in between waxing. Do it yourself and you will appreciate the fine engineering in your car.
4. Clean your wheels inside and out with a mild pH neutral cleaner and soft brush every time you wash the car. Follow with wax or at least detail spray.
5. Clear bar is fine but Cayennes sit high so you get far less road rash than on a 911.
6. And here is the big one. It's a nice truck but if you use it like it is built to be used you will get a few blemishes. Try to think of them as adding to the uniqueness of your pepper and they won't drive you crazy.

Quick Reply: What should you do to your new porsche's paint?