Notices

How do you safely remove painted pinstripes? (thankfully not on a Porsche)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:10 PM
JWise
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 76 Posts
Default How do you safely remove painted pinstripes? (thankfully not on a Porsche)

My bank employer has come into the possession of a 2012 Fiat 500, Metallic Brown with pink (!) pinstripes. To add insult to injury, there's a cartoonish "cupcake" caricature on the rear hatch (see attached). Both items are painted, not vinyl. I highly doubt these features would appeal to a broad market and I desparately wish to remove them before we attempt to sell the vehicle. I've seen the following suggestions out there:
  • Easy-Off oven cleaner
  • Mineral spirits
  • Lacquer thinner
  • Acetone
  • Heavy compound
Any experience and/or recommendations on how to safely remove these items without harming the underlying paint/clearcoat? Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2013, 04:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

No clue. Paint/stripe over them in a better color??
Old 07-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Range Rover
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 68 Posts

Here's a link to a 928 GTS where the owner successfully removed painted pinstripes with a Dremel tool and Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner. Scroll down to see the pics, and he describes his procedure in the description:

http://928registry.org/1993-928/1993...EARLY-5111.htm

Hope this helps!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:45 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Decal Removal - use an Eraser Wheel (Wurth P/T # 058591) 3.5-inch x 5/8-inch eraser wheel fits on (a slow speed, 3,500) machine and will remove decals, pin striping or adhesive without harming the paint surface Install an arbor and attach to drill, before first use ‘roughen’ the wheel on a clean surface (i.e. workbench)

Do not leave on one area for extended period as this may cause paint burning due to friction heat, observe running direction (opposite to working direction) Painted pinstripes are usually sign painters enamel, to remove use mineral spirits on a towel and rub lightly. The stripe will start to be removed. Use mineral spirits sparingly and lightly rub the surface; otherwise there is a risk of marring the surface.

Clouding of the paint surface after removing decals -this is called moisture migration; (a cloudy residue) when moisture gets between the sticker and paint surface it will go to the place that offers the least resistance. Leave it out in the sun’s heat to dry it out or try a blow dryer on low heat in circular motions, or apply a little more heat, but be careful not to overheat the paint surface.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:14 PM
JWise
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Range Rover
Here's a link to a 928 GTS where the owner successfully removed painted pinstripes with a Dremel tool and Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner. Scroll down to see the pics, and he describes his procedure in the description:

http://928registry.org/1993-928/1993...EARLY-5111.htm

Hope this helps!
I forgot about that one. I emailed Willhoit's, they removed painted pinstripes from a 94GTS (RKD's Iris Blue 5spd) but have not received a response. I've seen others suggest the Dremel with the felt wheel attachment and Meguirs or similar compound. I think this will be plan C.

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Decal Removal - use an Eraser Wheel (Wurth P/T # 058591) 3.5-inch x 5/8-inch eraser wheel fits on (a slow speed, 3,500) machine and will remove decals, pin striping or adhesive without harming the paint surface Install an arbor and attach to drill, before first use ‘roughen’ the wheel on a clean surface (i.e. workbench)

Do not leave on one area for extended period as this may cause paint burning due to friction heat, observe running direction (opposite to working direction) Painted pinstripes are usually sign painters enamel, to remove use mineral spirits on a towel and rub lightly. The stripe will start to be removed. Use mineral spirits sparingly and lightly rub the surface; otherwise there is a risk of marring the surface.

Clouding of the paint surface after removing decals -this is called moisture migration; (a cloudy residue) when moisture gets between the sticker and paint surface it will go to the place that offers the least resistance. Leave it out in the sun’s heat to dry it out or try a blow dryer on low heat in circular motions, or apply a little more heat, but be careful not to overheat the paint surface.
I think mineral spirits, as long as it's removed quickly, will be a relatively safe and hopefully effective method. This will be plan B.

Plan A - After surveying the ladies in the office, most of them think it's "cute". As the vehicle itself probably appeals more to women than men, I think we'll give it a shot selling it as is. If the feedback is negative, we'll proceed with removal.

Thanks for your input!

Quick Reply: How do you safely remove painted pinstripes? (thankfully not on a Porsche)