Notices

Wash mitt: wool vs microfiber

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 02:08 PM
ard
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Wash mitt: wool vs microfiber

I have a wool wash mitt bought from Griot some time back that is now ready to be replaced. I see that griot now offers microfiber mitts although others still offer wool mitts. What is the current thinking on wool vs microfiber mitts?

TIA

/alex
Old 04-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been using Griots micro-fiber mitts for a couple years and I love them. I have 2 of them. One for the top sections of the car and another for the bottom sections.

When done I toss them (separately) into the washing machine. Each spring I replace them, but only because I want something new and not because they are even close to being worn out.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I'm a fan of the heavy wool mitts mainly because they have much more surface area where dirt can be pulled away from the paint. I use microfiber mitts for the wheels although on the Spyder I've been using the Griots wool wheel mitt when I wash it.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:49 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Been using microfibre for the past year, works well. However I've bought a wool type mitt, haven't tried it yet. Only bought it to try something new.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:04 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember the old days of people using old T-shirts and dish soap to wash their cars?

I have a neighbor who still does, I have offered my help with proper car wash detergent, microfiber mitt and towels but he refuses. He thinks of cars as any appliance like the fridge in his garage.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
Remember the old days of people using old T-shirts and dish soap to wash their cars?

I have a neighbor who still does, I have offered my help with proper car wash detergent, microfiber mitt and towels but he refuses. He thinks of cars as any appliance like the fridge in his garage.
Some cars are appliances, Camry's come immediately to mind.

I don't treat my C32 the same way I treat the Spyder, the C32 will get the occasional drive through wash with spray wax. Good enough for a daily driver with miles getting piled on.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:23 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Some cars are appliances, Camry's come immediately to mind.

I don't treat my C32 the same way I treat the Spyder, the C32 will get the occasional drive through wash with spray wax. Good enough for a daily driver with miles getting piled on.
WOW, you DD a C32...sweet!!!

I personally prefer/use a genuine wool mitt. IMHO, a wool mitt is softer than anything else I have tried and it's also very plush(more so than microfiber IMO) which helps to trap the dirt and keep it away from your paint as you wash painted surfaces.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Larry-911cab
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Micro Fiber rules for washing, drying, applying wax and removing. Take the leap, you'll never go back. Oh - and wash surface is nearly the same IMO.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:10 AM
beemer2012
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Any thoughts on RouteGurus Microfiber wash mit?

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
I've been using Griots micro-fiber mitts for a couple years and I love them. I have 2 of them. One for the top sections of the car and another for the bottom sections.

When done I toss them (separately) into the washing machine. Each spring I replace them, but only because I want something new and not because they are even close to being worn out.
Hello,
Have you tried the wash mitt from RouteGurus? I see they have a promotion and give a dry towel and a zipper bag - and i thought it was a great deal for the money, but thought of asking before buying.
Thanks!
Old 11-17-2014, 05:23 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

While I'm a huge proponent of microfiber, wash mitt is the one place where I do NOT use it.

Microfiber grabs onto stuff and doesn't like to let go of it. For wiping a perfectly clean surface that's great, for a dirty surface my personal opinion is it's too hard to release the heavy particles of dirt from the microfiber when you rinse. I'd much rather use wool or a very soft sponge for washes.

Quick Reply: Wash mitt: wool vs microfiber