Notices

Leather Care??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Leather Care??

Ive been using Leatherique products for a long time and they do a great job. I just bought a 997 turbo and it still smells new inside although not as strong as when the car was showroom new. I just bought a new bottle of Leatherique pristine clean and was going to clean everything but now they perfume the liquid which is supposed to smell like leather, well it doesnt smell like leather AT ALL to me. I dont know if I should use it because I dont want to take away from the "newish" leather smell that I still have. What do you guys think??? Has anyone tried the new and "improved" pristing clean?? Maybe I should try it out on the Cayenne first??

Is there another product that works equally well as pristine clean and does not have an odor???

Last edited by Boeing 717; 01-20-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Leather Smell

Leather scent is one of the most-loved scents in the world. Leather scent can never be retrieved from the leather itself. Perfumers for hundreds of years have been trying to represent leather in the form of oil and it has been mixtures of citrus, rose, neroli, and spices. For a long time, birch-tar was a stable ingredient of leather aroma but it became a restricted chemical and can’t be used now. The smell of leather comes from the now no longer used, vegetable tanning and the oils used in the fat liquoring process.

For many years the leather used in expensive cars was tanned, processed and colored in order to neutralize its natural smell. It was then injected with industrial chemicals. More commonplace these days are chemicals called quinolenes that are mixed with phenols (smelling of creosote) to create a base leather note. Then it is modified with moss, labdanum and other resins and including vanilla, which puts fragrant oils back into leather to restore a new leather aroma.

LTT Leather Essence The only product I’ve found that actually smells of leather (rather than a chemical) -htp://www.lttsolutions.co.uk/leather-essence.html
Old 01-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Boeing 717

They should just make a "new Porsche" smell and be done with it!!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Ryan_U
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
They should just make a "new Porsche" smell and be done with it!!!!
They do but it costs 100'000$... They sell it a the dealer and it comes with a car. You can't buy the new car smell seperately.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by Ryan_U
They do but it costs 100'000$... They sell it a the dealer and it comes with a car. You can't buy the new car smell seperately.
Bummer
Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 AM
Enzo559
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if its a water based product you could just add a touch of water to it but if its a solvent your pretty much stuck with that perfume smell. Or put some on a soft rag rub the towel together an then let it sit for about 5 mins let the rag absorb the smell this works with alot of high smelling products like car scents.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I recently used Leatherique on my full leather spyder and I agree that it will change the interior smell but only temporarily. If the leather is in good condition and not soiled I would just apply a very light coating of prestine clean and skip the rejuvenator oil. The prestine clean doesn't have a strong smell and it does a good job keeping the leather soft. You can follow up with a wet microfiber to wipe off excess. Within a few days of applying the prestine clean the original leather smell will come back full strength.

Quick Reply: Leather Care??