Notices

Need Help On Picking Pressure Washer???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:10 AM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help On Picking Pressure Washer???

Hi everyone right now I just use a standard hose nozzle to wash my Porsche 997.1 C2S, but I am thinking of getting a pressure washer setup. I have never used one to clean a car so I do not know what psi is appropriate to clean and what is too powerful. Please help me!?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

Would this be ok???
Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These are only a few things to consider, check the individual specifications before you finally decide which to purchase

Electric powered high-pressure washer's can be used everywhere that a normal mains pressure hose would be used, but you should take a few precautions with their use. Beware of forcing water into areas where it can't drain, and don't hold the nozzle too close to paint surfaces for as well as impact damage an excess of water pressure could damage paint surface, it can also remove stripes and vinyl graphics.

Be careful when working with the pressure hose nozzle close to the vehicle paintwork, or while working in confined places like engine compartments as it could recoil and cause impact damage (at 1500psi , with the nozzle is held 4-6 inches from the paint surface, the resultant pressure is ~ 750 psi) always maintain a three or four foot distance (this will alleviate sand (grit) blasting and use the wand at a 45 degree angle They are an ideal tool for the cleaning of fender wells and undercarriage, and for the removal of road salt from these areas.

Electric powered high-pressure washer's can be used everywhere that a normal mains pressure hose would be used, but you should take a few precautions with their use. Beware of forcing water into areas where it can't drain, and don't hold the nozzle too close to paint surfaces for as well as impact damage an excess of water pressure could damage paint surface, it can also remove stripes and vinyl graphics.

• Nilfisk ALTO POSEIDON 2-19X - 1100 PSI (Chemical Injection) water flow 2.4 GPM ($1,750)

• Karsher K5.93M - 1850 PSI (Chemical Injection) water flow 1.5 GPM ($285)

• Cam Spray 1500A - 1450 PSI (Adjustable pressure, Chemical Injection) water flow 2 GPM ($1,085)
Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are going to go electric, I highly recommend the Karcher brand. I have gone through several electrical units and all have leaked like mad and eventually stopped working. My Karcher has held up very well.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf
I have never used one to clean a car so I do not know what psi is appropriate to clean and what is too powerful.
They are all too powerful at point blank range and if you step back to get a soft spray, you might as well use a garden hose with a good nozzle.

I do own a Karcher but it is used for around the house cleaning and cleaning my winter wheels...off the car.

Spend the extra $30 and get the Karcher K3.690 they have at Walmart. It should have an AC induction motor for long life.

Quick Reply: Need Help On Picking Pressure Washer???