Notices

best product to soften"cardboard" leather ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Jim Devine
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default best product to soften"cardboard" leather ?

Car is 86 928. I tried Leatherique with repeated applications on heavy, it helped somewhat. Is there anything else that I could try? Is the product "Soffener" by Color Plus any better or? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:43 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Patina (softness or hand) - used to ensure the finished leather remains soft and supple; Leather Master™ Soft Touch (ex Vital) - this is not a conditioner per se; it contains polymers in an aqueous emulsion and is used to improve and maintain the tactile feel and lustre by rehydration and to ensure the leather remains matte, soft and supple. It can also be used when doing repair work to help soften the area being worked on and to dilute some of the pigments, helping them to permeate

Apply a small amount to dry 100% cotton micro fibre towel, allow to dwell for 20-30 minutes and then wipe surface with a dry 100% cotton micro fibre towel. For revitalizing older leathers and also to improve the feel of stiff leathers it’s better to apply several thin layers than a heavy application and to gently massage it into the surface

‘Cardboard hard leather’ - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...eather%92.html

“Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html

If you have any questions about automotive leather, its care or renovation techniques, please let me know or feel free to send me an email

Last edited by TOGWT; 11-25-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jim, Did you go by all the instructions of using Leatherique? Several light coasts on a warm day usually does the trick. I have used nothing but LEXOL Leather Conditioner on my ten horse saddles and tack for years. I do use it on the seats of my car and the dash.The leather is soft and pliable for the bridles and the 15oz saddle leather. They do get rained on when out riding sometimes but are wiped dry upon returning home.

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandpa#3; 11-25-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Jim Devine
Three Wheelin'

I tried repeated aps during the summer- put on as heavy as I could without it running. Close to using the whole bottle, some improvement, but needs a lot more. Didn't want to use anything that might cause a problem when re- dying later. Trying not to wind up with a lot of products that didn't work...
Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 468 Posts

I have used Leather Master Vital with great success on 928's and on my MB C32. In both instances the leather was softer after two applications.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 265 Posts

Organic coconut oil (solid white stuff from wholefoods) worked for me. I put the seats in the sun for a while, then wiped the oil on with a microfiber towel, left for a while, applied again, then used lexol spray to remove.

Made a significant difference (I had also tried leatherique etc).
Old 12-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Jim Devine
Three Wheelin'

I tried the coconut oil today using a heat gun to
warm up the seats. It might be what I was looking for- I put it a thin coat with a brush & it filled the perforations. After warming it, it soaked in & the
perforations were visable again. Seemed to soften the leather. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 468 Posts

Do you guys think the coconut oil could lead to mold in the future? I have heard some products can cause this and I would think something food based might be an issue but I'm not 100% certain of this.

Does the coconut oil change the appearance of the leather at all?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:35 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Coconut oil doesn’t become rancid over time; although I would not recommend the use of any oil on most auto leathers

See leather care articles - https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...pholstery.html
Old 12-21-2012, 12:05 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Devine
I tried Leatherique with repeated applications on heavy, it helped somewhat.
Jim, my leather seats felt the same. My leather seats are in mint condition, but they felt like thin cardboard...on the tough side instead of soft and pliable.

I used some Leatherique that was applied and left to sit all day on a hot day. After finishing the application, the leather still felt like thin cardboard.

It was only after months of use that the driver's seat felt much softer; it is very noticeably softer than the passenger seat which sees no use.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Jim Devine
Three Wheelin'

I think there is progress. Not expecting a miracle, just want to get them pliable so they don't crack/ split. Car was stored in driveway for 2 yrs by previous owner with windows up. Summer temps of 100+. Didn't do it any good! Thanks to all.

Quick Reply: best product to soften"cardboard" leather ?