Notices

Need Advice on discolored seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:29 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Advice on discolored seat

I have a sand/beige interior on my 997. The driver seat is discolored, where my lower back touches the lumbar area of the seat, light bluish color.

I have tried and tried to clean it with Zymol leather cleaner but no luck. One detailer told me this is due to a color transfer from my belt to the seat but had no solution for it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:42 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leather Master Leather Dye Transfer Cleaner - dye transfer is a specialized cleaner and stain remover designed to eliminate colour and dye transfers on light types A (Aniline) and P (Protected) leathers and fabrics. For blue jeans transfer, newspaper print, fresh ballpoint ink, paint, shoe polish, and permanent marker.

Typically, a dye or colour transfer penetrates through the surface of the finished leather rather than remaining on top of the finish due to the acid and / or solvents contained. For this reason, it is important to follow the product instructions and allow enough time for the product to penetrate the surface and thoroughly clean and eliminate the colour transfer.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:43 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Thanks very much TOGWT, I ordered it from Autogeek.net.

I will try it and post results.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Alright, I got this product from Autogeek and tried it on Sunday. It did not remove the blue discoloration (from blue jeans) on the sand/beige leather, it just slightly discolored the seat (made it lighter, the original seat color not the stains, the stains remained the same).

I am glad I tried a small area otherwise would have had a huge problem on hand.

Any other suggestions?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:40 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Typically, a dye or colour transfer penetrates through the surface of the finished leather rather than remaining on top of the finish due to body heat and / or the acid and / or solvents contained. Do not allow liquid to soak or ‘heat set’ into the leather, the longer dye transfer remains on the leather the harder it becomes to remove as the dye keeps permeating the finish on the leather.

Once the dye has permeated the surface it can be very difficult to remove and the pigmentation may need to be renewed (1). If the dye has permeated then the finish should be softened to help release the dye (Leather Master Soft Touch)

This can be avoided by regular cleaning and the use of a protector. The transferred dye will ‘sit’ on top of the protection and can then be cleaned off by regular cleaning.

(1) “Leather Pigmentation (Colour) Renovation” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1479003

Quick Reply: Need Advice on discolored seat