Wheels, bugs and water filters

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheels, bugs and water filters

Hey guys, need some advice:

Just bought a black 996TT. My wife has driven black cars for years, but I have never had to maintain her daily drivers like I do a toy car.

So...
- how do you get 3-day old bugs off easily and completely; I have used pre applied bug-off products before and was not impressed.

- do in-line water filters really make a differnce in reducting water spots?

- I have found the best way to clean wheels easily is to clean them often - any other suggestions?

Last edited by Bates; 06-08-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM
copper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try this method...
Old 05-31-2012, 08:18 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bug, Wheel Cleaning and Water Filtration

"Removing Bug residue and Carcasses" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...carcasses.html

“Filtration Methods” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1465231

“Wheel Surface cleaning”- http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...-cleaning.html
Old 06-04-2012, 12:55 PM
mx22
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in late April I did a 300 mile round in my 928. It was a rather hot day, lots of bugs... Parked the car and unfortunately did not get to washing it until this past weekend. I sprayed Chemical Guys Bug Bugger and Tar Remover on the front bumper, side mirrors, windshield and everywhere else I could see bug remains prior to putting shampoo on the car and everything washed away with no drama. Not bad at all for a bottle that cost less then $10 and will last me for probably a couple of years.

For wheels, there is a thread from Phil from Detailer's Domain a few posts down about a special on Sonax Wheel Cleaner. It worked magic on my X5 that I drove a couple of times during winter to ski resorts. But yes, the trick is to clean wheels often... I usually wash 928 pretty much after each drive and I use regular car shampoo on its wheels, never had a need for anything stronger then that.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all for the info. I plan to purchase some of the Chemical Guys products.

A friend of mine game me a product called Xzilon which I wiped on every exterior surface my wife's black Land Rover LR4. After almost a year, the car still sheds water and cleans up so quickly and easily. I cannot say enough about Xzilon relative its durability.

Quick Reply: Wheels, bugs and water filters