Notices

To Opti Coat or to not Opti Coat

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 PM
jmsc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SToronto:

What look (i.e. glossiness, darkening, richness, depth, sealant-like, carnauba-like....) did you get after applying O-C to your car?

I've never used it but durability, self-cleaning, beading are its strongest qualities from what I have read.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsc
SToronto:

What look (i.e. glossiness, darkening, richness, depth, sealant-like, carnauba-like....) did you get after applying O-C to your car?

I've never used it but durability, self-cleaning, beading are its strongest qualities from what I have read.
On this particular car I can't compare unfortunately. I put Opti-Coat on it two weeks after purchase. That being said, I didn't wax as I would normally have done. I struggled with the idea of using it, because waxing it apparently doesn't do much to add anything really once Opti-Coat is applied. As well the wax comes off much sooner as Opti-Coat resists things sticking. What I can say is that paint prep is key before applying Opti-Coat as it is a clear coating that will allow the paint condition to come through. The car does pop nicely with it applied like a wax (I've only used synthetic not 100% Carnuba, typically used Meguirs Tech 2.0 Wax). In terms of running your fingers across the car ( I liked doing this after a wax, feels great after the work is done, buttery smooth). With Opti-Coat, the feeling is quite smooth not like butter though. I haven't had an opportunity to test the characteristics you list as I've done my best to keep the car clean so far. However I did see water being poured across a GT3's rear fender....water just slid right off the panel, pretty cool stuff.

All being said, I chose to go that route because I wanted to ensure max protection for the paint at all times. This is due to the fact I intend to keep this car for as long as I can as its my first 911.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 PM
ahimanic
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a follow-up report as it has been a year since 1st application? Is water still sheeting off of it like day one? How about the shine?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:00 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by ahimanic
How about a follow-up report as it has been a year since 1st application? Is water still sheeting off of it like day one? How about the shine?
I haven't paid particular attention to the sheeting effects, but I can make a point to do that. I'll be washing it this weekend if the weather is warm enough. I'll report back.

I would say the shine is still there, looks great after a wash. I think it pops further after some quick detailer. No scratches, though I always hand wash myself, so less chance of contaminants.

In the next few weeks I hope to try waxing it, will see if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply: To Opti Coat or to not Opti Coat