Notices

Rust Removal Tip

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:12 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts
Default Rust Removal Tip

This is a method I've used for years and I thought I'd share having just removed some surface rust from the tailgate of my Honda CR-V where it makes contact with the rubber seal.

Although I have "rust remover" that you can get at most car supply shops, I find muriatic acid (concrete cleaner) to work far better.

I removed the loose paint and rust and then applied the muriatic acid using cotton swabs.

This is the end result; a mat grey metal finish. I feathered the edges of the paint with 320 wet sandpaper.

The areas were coated with clear POR-15 for now. I bought their Super Starter Kit. More than a month later, no rust.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:52 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:06 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A paint surface is porous, you may find over time the acid has permeated the the paint matrix causing damage to the finish
Old 10-23-2011, 08:59 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
A paint surface is porous, you may find over time the acid has permeated the the paint matrix causing damage to the finish
You lost me, what paint surface? The acid was used on the rusted metal. The surface was then prepped (neutralized) with whatever POR-15 has in its package. Although POR-15 comes with its own rust remover, I used muriatic acid since it is readily available at the local hardware store, does a great job on removing rust and is a lot cheaper than those small bottles of rust remover sold in the auto section of stores, which by the way, are not very effective based on my experience.

Anyway, I've done this before with no issues. And if I left it the way it was, it would only rust more and get worse.

Quick Reply: Rust Removal Tip