Notices

Wheel Well/Undercarriage Cleaning - What A Pain!!! How to clean effectively???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Matt, I followed your thread.

Now all you have to do is the rest of the underside. That takes more dedication than the wheel wells because you are going to get soaking wet with Xenit, Facto AT30 and water dripping onto you.

I highly recommend wearing sealed goggles...don't ask. A very long handled 1" stiff bristle paint brush is a must (art supply).

This is nuts; I keep my motorcycles that clean, but a car? Well, these aren't just any car.

Wow, very nice work!

So can anyone tell me what type of chemical xenit is? Is it safe to use and or can it harm/damage rubber, plastics etc.?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:01 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
So can anyone tell me what type of chemical Xenit is? Is it safe to use and or can it harm/damage rubber, plastics etc.?
It is a citrus cleaner with a very strong orange smell.

Its been safe on everything I've used it on...the whole underside of my car...aluminum, painted surfaces, rubber, etc. Many RLers have used it.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I really like to use Simple Green for inside the wheel wells. It also does a great job of getting track marbling marks off the paint and clear bra too.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:32 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Is there a protocol for cleaning wheel wells that leaves the cosmoline intact but addresses all the sedimentary layers from the millennia on the road?
Old 04-19-2021, 09:44 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Is there a protocol for cleaning wheel wells that leaves the cosmoline intact but addresses all the sedimentary layers from the millennia on the road?
Well you can't use a solvent like kerosene or similar (Stoner Xenit or Tarminator) which will remove the cosmoline. Use something that is water based instead.

If you are worried about corrosion, use something that flows like Krown T-40. I have over thirty years experience with that product and I know it works on daily drivers that I have kept over 15 years that see lots of road salt.
The following users liked this post:
Paolo1 (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 10:28 AM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Well you can't use a solvent like kerosene or similar (Stoner Xenit or Tarminator) which will remove the cosmoline. Use something that is water based instead.

If you are worried about corrosion, use something that flows like Krown T-40. I have over thirty years experience with that product and I know it works on daily drivers that I have kept over 15 years that see lots of road salt.
Thank you. When using your suggested products for this area, do you need to avoid any areas, e.g., rotor, suspension items, other? or can you just douse the whole areas (avoiding the exterior body paint of course)

Old 04-19-2021, 11:40 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Thank you. When using your suggested products for this area, do you need to avoid any areas, e.g., rotor, suspension items, other? or can you just douse the whole areas (avoiding the exterior body paint of course)
I am ultra careful and never had an issue.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:06 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

This image shows the underbody on my 1986 911 after the first pass of cleaning. That patchy brown staining was much more extensive.

The first pass (after soap and water w/ little effect) was to use Simple Green and WD-40, arriving at the condition shown.

The second pass started out w/ mineral spirits, then WD-40 and Simple Green. Now all that staining is gone.

Quick Reply: Wheel Well/Undercarriage Cleaning - What A Pain!!! How to clean effectively???