Notices

How to Remove Pine Sap from Alcantara?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Dave_D
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to Remove Pine Sap from Alcantara?

Hi, all.

Per this post, I got some pine tree sap on my clothes and into the Porsche's seat before realizing it. The leather cleaned up perfectly, but there remain some small smears in the alcantara that will require a more scientific approach.

What should I use to clean the pine sap without damaging the alcantara? I'm afraid to try any of the traditional sap solutions being that alcantara is an unknown variable. For example, I normally use Goof Off on pine sap - works great - but Lord knows what it'll do to alcantara.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave
Old 08-11-2011, 01:47 AM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't say that I've run up against this problem, but this is what I'd do if it was me -
Get a small piece of ultrasuede or similar product from a fabric store.
If possible, apply some of the pine tar to several spots on the sample.
Test each of the following: GooGone, WD40, turpentine and alcohol. Maybe test the laquer thinner as well, but that stuff is pretty wicked.
The WD40 and the turpentine might need a touch up with the alcohol if they leave any residual discoloration.
Finally, test whichever product you choose in an inconspicuous area of the alcantara.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by RennlistTomE; 08-11-2011 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Correct Misspelling
Old 08-11-2011, 03:00 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use a Limonene (citrus) based solvent cleaner (Wurth Citrus Degreaser)
Old 08-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the Citrus cleaner for this.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mission accomplished!

According to Wikipedia, Alcantara and ultrasuede are indeed similar. [Thank you, Tonydec, for suggesting this.] This, in turn, led to a more productive Google search. The most popular recommendations mirrored those offered here already, with one notable exception: Dawn. The mildest of suggestions, I opted to try this first.

Armed with Dawn concentrate and a bucket of water, the sap came out (or isn't visible anymore) with only a dab of soap and modest scrubbing - at first, with a clean moist rag, and graduating to a fingernail on stubborn, ground-in spots. In fact, once the alcantara became damp and soapy - it sponges up the soap - it became difficult to find the sap spots anymore. After countless rinses of the rag, soap continued to come out of the alcantara. [Maybe I should've diluted the concentrate?] Dragging a fingernail over the slippery alcantara was very useful for both finding and removing the remaining sap (and soap). I suspect a credit card would've been useful here too, especially for squeegeeing out the soap.

The only thing troubling during this exercise is that firm scrubbing returned what appear to be alcantara fibers on the rag. Not a lot, but enough to scare me off scrubbing any harder. Same with the fingernail. Even mild digging with the fingernail brings up a few fibers.

Now, contradicting myself, I also found some stubborn spots on the leather that would not come out with Dawn alone. [This begs the question, did it really remove the sap from the alcantara?] Vigorous scrubbing had zero effect on these pinhead-sized sap spots. I moved up to Citrus Goo Gone Gel and a Q-tip. This dissolved the sap but didn't wipe away with the rag very well - just dispersed it over a much larger area - lots of streaking and an awful, sticky feel to the leather. As before, no amount of wiping with a clean, damp rag helped. I applied McGuire's 2-part leather cleaner/conditioner and the leather returned to showroom look and feel.

I'm very happy. Looks like new, though until the alcantara dries completely, I won't know if there's any sticky residue or matting. If so, I'll let everyone know.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave

Quick Reply: How to Remove Pine Sap from Alcantara?