Notices

996 40th Anniversary MY02 Wheels

Old 06-19-2011, 06:15 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 996 40th Anniversary MY02 Wheels

Those of you familiar with 40th AE 911s know that they come with special MY02 5-spoke wheels that are sort-of-polished, sort-of-shot-peened, kind-of-chrome looking. That is to say I don't really know what the finish is.

I like these wheels but I can't seem to get stains off of them. They occassionally get stains from water spots, etc, and no amount of claybar or metal polish or paint polish applied by hand will work. I am ready to step up to power tools if I need to, but have no idea what I would use.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-19-2011, 07:26 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you tried the recommendations in this thread?
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ed-advice.html

My 40th wheels only come out to play for autocross. I haven't noticed any stains on mine, but I don't look very closely at them.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I did not see that thread...good read. But I have used P21S metal polish before and I couldn't get any polishing action going. No staining on my rag, no improvement in the appearance of the wheel. It seems that the OP of that thread had the best results by using a powerball or other similar drill attachment and then touching up the small spots with a dremel. He also used Mother's metal polish. It all seems a bit off-the-shelf to be any good but if it works it works.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:27 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default (non clear coat finish) Aluminium Wheel Polishing:

Aluminium Wheel Polishing:

Uncoated aluminium is always in a state of tarnish (oxidation) as this is its natural sacrificial coating in the presence of air and become coated with a thin film of oxide (so-called ‘white rust’) that pacifies the metal and slows further corrosion

P21S® Finish Restorer - this is a polishing product to refine a cleaned finish as opposed to cleaning; it’s formulated to polish metals and refine their finish. Used after the surface has been cleaned with the polishing soap or as a finish restorer on metal that is only lightly tarnished.

Methodology

• Ensure wheels and rotors are cool before applying cold water as this may cause the rotors warp. Hose off as much initial grime as you can.
• Rinse up into the wheel well to wash away road kill, mud and other debris.
• Use detailing clay to remove any imbedded contaminants
• Remove road tar with a solvent (Stoners™ Tarminator)
• Apply P21S® Total Auto Wash or P21S® Polishing Soap (a clay-based polish that applies with its own sponge) to wheel surfaces and let soak in, agitate with a long-handled boar’s haired brush before rinsing
• Remove surface brake dust with a 100% acid-free and neutral pH wheel cleaner (P21S® Wheel Cleaner)
• For really soiled surfaces use Sonax Wheel Cleaner full effect on a dry surface
• Agitate with a soft boar’s hair wheel brush and rinse with low-pressure clean water
• Remove scratches with finishing grit paper (grit number will depend upon severity of scratch)
• To remove tough stains such as oxidation and acid rain water spots, use a cutting polish (Wenol Original (Red tube) or a fine metal polish (Auto Wenol Blue tube) to remove rain water spotting and produce a bright shine (follow Wenol Original with Auto Wenol) apply products with a 100% DFT cotton micro towel
• Magnesium or aluminium wheels can be polished with a water-soluble polish (Happich Semichrome Polish, ECP Showman Polish or Autosol)
• For difficult to reach places use a felt polishing buffer on an electric drill (Dremal or Groit's Felt Polishing Cone Set)
• Apply surface protection (G|Techniq C5 Wheel Sealant)
Old 06-21-2011, 06:31 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

TOGWT. very very helpful. thanks!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

{Knowledge Management} - Treating experience as a shared asset.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:21 AM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Great info in this thread, but it would appear that our 40th anniversary wheels do have some sort of clear coat, as they are not oxidizing. If that is the case, does that change the approach to maintaining the finish?
Thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 40th Anniversary MY02 Wheels