Notices

California Duster

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:48 PM
joe 997
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default California Duster

Any of you folks use one of these. Any downside?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No.
Scratches.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:53 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Yes
No scratches

Old 05-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I've been using them for decades, no problems. I haven't seen any scratching on my Black Spyder either, if I did it would already be in the trash.

Never use it if the car was rained on and or has very heavy dirt/dust on it. In that instance you're better off either blowing the car down first and or washing it.

To remove light dust use light movements across the paint and shake the duster after you finish half the car.

Edited my post, you shouldn't apply pressure, not sure why I wrote that!

Last edited by Marine Blue; 06-01-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. I use it 1-2 times a week depending on the season. Black car. No scratches. That said, my car also has about 1,500 coats of sealant and wax at any given time, so I guess if it does scratch, it's just scratching the product. I only use for dust, obviously. Never anything heavier. I resisted buying based on scratch-fear but that simply hasn't been the case with my car.

I use little/no pressure, just glide it along the surface.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:07 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No scratches ;-)

Light Surface Dust

To remove light, dry surface dust without causing scratches apply very little surface pressure, use a California Ultimate Premium Car Duster (that uses 100% cotton fibres impregnated with paraffin wax to collect dust) this product is like Marmite, you either love or hate it, I’ve been using mine for ten years or so without problems; having said that it’s all in the method you use.

Or the Zymol® Natural Wool Duster (that uses static to attach the dust to the fibres to assure that dust is lifted and removed, not just pushed around) or long nap micro fibre towel and Optimum (OPT) No Rinse Wash™ (which uses a surfactant to encapsulate the dust and polymers to ensure surface lubrication) to ensure the dust lifted from the paint surface will remain in the nap or fibres and not on the towel surface thereby avoiding surface marring.

Using long strokes, maintain very light surface pressure and use in one direction only, this ensures that any dut is removed not just pushed around. Shake the duster or towel occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it.

Do not use these methodologies on a hot paint surface (soon after driving) as this will cause streaking?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:56 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 738 Likes on 390 Posts

We've been using this for years...never had a problem and it's easily washed and re-used again...

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ster-gp/Detail

I personally prefer it over the CA Duster for the simple fact that it's "pulling" the dirt off with static electricity rather than trapping it in cotton fibers and rubbing it around.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Moe I've been wondering if the wool dusters are better at dust removal and have been considering getting one for a while now but just haven't pulled the trigger.

To be honest wool dusters are available at many chain stores and after close inspection the higher priced ($20) do not have any areas that could scratch a car. Are there advantages to the wool dusters marketed towards car enthusiasts?
Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 738 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Moe I've been wondering if the wool dusters are better at dust removal and have been considering getting one for a while now but just haven't pulled the trigger.

To be honest wool dusters are available at many chain stores and after close inspection the higher priced ($20) do not have any areas that could scratch a car. Are there advantages to the wool dusters marketed towards car enthusiasts?
Afshin, there are some good wool dusters out there and some lesser quality ones as well. Our wool dusters are hand made here in the US using Australian Lamb's Wool. The quality of the material and craftsmanship that goes into them is hard to beat.

The really great aspect of getting the duster from us is the amazing carrier it can come with. I personally designed this carrier to protect the dusters from when they fall on the ground and pick up dust and dirt. It makes a great presentation piece to hang in the garage or put in the car. It's made of a unique fabric from Japan and is hand cut, embroidered, and sewn here locally in Aliso Viejo.

I could have them outsourced to a large mill, or even in another country to be made cheaper, but making things here in the US, helping out local small businesses, and making a quality product are why I decided to forgo huge profit margins. I figured our customers would see this of value and spend a little extra for the reasons I mentioned above.

Quick Reply: California Duster