Notices

Paint touch ups

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:11 PM
simonjjb
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Paint touch ups

First, thanks to all who have responded to my various requests for help. I have been searching for threads on the following without much success. I have three paint touch up needs and I need help on color and where to buy touch up vials. I have a 1997 C4S

1) I have some small nicks in the Matt black door frame at the top of the drivers window. Is this a special color, or just a simple matt black? Or perhaps it's a semi-gloss?

2) any help on best color to use on turbo silver rims? I see some prior references to a Toyota color, but can not seem to find it

3) finally, my color code is L92U. What's the best on-line place to buy touch up vials.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) MATT BLACK: Don't know that one .. if its simple matt black maybe the generic vials of Dupli at your local Auto Parts stores?

2) WHEELS: I asked the same question recently (yesterday). The answer on this one was unanimous; Wurth Wheel Paint. It only comes in a spray can. It designed specifically for German wheels/colors. It's silver. Autogeek and others carry it.

3) TOUCH-UP: There are many places to buy touch-up vials on-line. You can get the Porsche brand paints from any Porsche Parts shop, Eagle Day, Pelican, Suncoast. But if you are looking for touch-up systems you'll get many opinions. I personally like Dr. Paint chip.

I hate to break this to you if you don't know it already but Arctic Silver is a real bear to touch-up. Some touch-up sites (inc Dr. Paint Chip) will tell you straight up that silver metallic paints are the hardest to do well and tend to breed unhappy customers. Just the way the light hits those metallic flakes, I guess. I've probably touched up 20 cars in my life -- and the Arctic was the hardest. Used 3 systems. None proved great. I had an Arctic Silver Boxster at one time -- great looking and easy color to care for. The touch up was the only drawback.

Maybe others have fared better. Tips, anyone?

One tip -- before you use that vial of Arctic Silver, shake that sucker until your arm feels like its going to fall off. Then take a break and do it again. It makes all the difference in the world when the flake is well distributed in the solution. And it takes some time and calories.

Quick Reply: Paint touch ups