Clear Bra Problems - fog

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:18 PM
mrzoop
deviated
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clear Bra Problems - fog

Hey folks - I acquired a pre-owned 08 997S out of Sun Coast Porsche last spring. There was a full clear bra installed on the car at the dealer when purchased new. Through the summer the bra looked fine and worked as expected. But since the weather turned colder in the fall, I began to notice that the bra started to look very foggy. I've spoken to the dealer about it and they have no information on the installer or the brand that was used. With a hard rub using a microfiber cloth, the fog sorta comes off for awhile but it always comes back the next day. I've tried many different waxes and polishes with absolutely no luck. It always comes back. 3 different brands of quick detailer won't touch it. Meguiar's Plastx was the most recent failure. I've even tried numerous household chemicals with no luck. The car is has always been stored in a garage and out of the sun. It's most noticeable when parked in the garage or in the shade. The car lives in NC so taking it back to the dealer is not an option.

My next guess is a Porter Cable unit with pads and polish and lots of hope that I can clear this up by machine. The only other option is to pull the bra off when the weather warms up a bit. I would like to include an image but there is just no way that it will show on camera.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

If you've already tried a plastic polish the odds are the bra will need to be removed and replaced. Clear Bra's IMHO are designed to be disposable but the prices for them are absolutely ridiculous.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:55 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 748 Likes on 391 Posts

That's either moisture in the film, which goes away after a few days in the hot sun. Or, a product is having an adverse effect due to the weather. Either way, wait until the weather gets better and let it sit out in the sun for a day or two. It usually clears things up.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Problems - fog