Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:55 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by uzj100
MB I think once you try ONR you'll be a "convert". You can mix it QD strength too.
I too am a HUGE skeptic of this product. I'm going to have to give it a try and see how well it performs.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:49 AM
speedfreak81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
I too am a HUGE skeptic of this product. I'm going to have to give it a try and see how well it performs.
I was a huge skeptic of ANYTHING that you wipe onto dirty paint. However, that being said, after using it I am now a fan.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought a 2002 black cab (at left). The PO kept her well stored but never really detailed it. Overall paint condition is great. The swirling is modest -- maybe a 3-4 on the severity scale but it is pervasive.

What I'm struggling with as a newbie with an orbital, is which level of swirl removal to start with and what type of Lake County pad to use. I don't want to start off too aggressive on Stage One, so I'm thinking of starting with Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover with a Lake County Orange pad on a Porter Cable 7424XP.

Would welcome any suggestions on this pad/polish duo, as well as the buffer speed for this exercise. Again, like to be pretty conservative but not to the point of being ineffective.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Zurichgnome
I recently bought a 2002 black cab (at left). The PO kept her well stored but never really detailed it. Overall paint condition is great. The swirling is modest -- maybe a 3-4 on the severity scale but it is pervasive.

What I'm struggling with as a newbie with an orbital, is which level of swirl removal to start with and what type of Lake County pad to use. I don't want to start off too aggressive on Stage One, so I'm thinking of starting with Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover with a Lake County Orange pad on a Porter Cable 7424XP.

Would welcome any suggestions on this pad/polish duo, as well as the buffer speed for this exercise. Again, like to be pretty conservative but not to the point of being ineffective.

Thanks!
I use #9 regularly and I can say that it is very mild and it does contain some oils which will hide swirls rather than removing them. Meguiars #205 might be a better place to start but really it depends on current condition of the paint.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Great. Thanks. I see that #205 is one of the few that you can buy in very small bottles. I'll give it a try. Think I'm ok with an Orange pad on that?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:30 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Great. Thanks. I see that #205 is one of the few that you can buy in very small bottles. I'll give it a try. Think I'm ok with an Orange pad on that?
Just another process...we prefer the Menzerna line of polishes over the 105/205 combo. For what you're wanting, Menzerna Power Finish sounds perfect. Think of it as a polish that is in between 105 and 205. Behaves very well on porsche paint and you can use it with the white pad.

It comes in the smaller size that you were looking for.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...rna/Categories

If you do stick with 205, it's more of a finishing polish and should be used with a white or black lake country pad.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Thanks for the advice. And I'm all about supporting the Rennlist supporters, so I'll give it a try. I see some other stuff I'd like your pick up on your site as well. Thanks again.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. And I'm all about supporting the Rennlist supporters, so I'll give it a try. I see some other stuff I'd like your pick up on your site as well. Thanks again.
Thank you and we too appreciate the loyalty and support from the members. After 16 years of detailing, and 65% of the cars being Porsche, you can count on our expertise and solid advice.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I run out of my Meguiars I'm going to make a switch to Menzerna. I just can't justify buying more product until I finish what I have.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
When I run out of my Meguiars I'm going to make a switch to Menzerna. I just can't justify buying more product until I finish what I have.
Great idea Afshin. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well Menzerna products work and how predictable they are.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:48 PM
speedfreak81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I use #9 regularly and I can say that it is very mild and it does contain some oils which will hide swirls rather than removing them. Meguiars #205 might be a better place to start but really it depends on current condition of the paint.
IPA wipedown after 205, it's got oil in it too.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:51 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by speedfreak81
IPA wipedown after 205, it's got oil in it too.
If it's anything like Menzerna Super Finish, 106fa, then it's just the oils needed for the polishing. It's up to the user to break down the polish properly to get accurate and legitimate results. Is that your findings as well? Or does 205 have lots of fillers to hide things.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm using an IPA wipe down after #9 and #205. I don't think 205 is very oily, it does leave an incredible final finish. I haven't really used 205 by itself so I don't really know how well it works to remove swirls but when used to eliminate the hazing from a coarser polish such as 105 the results are stunning.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Default Black Products for Black Cars

I've noticed quite a few cleaners, glazes and waxes formulated specifically for black cars (Poor Boys Black Hole, Turtle Wax Black Box any many others). Two questions, one practical, one more philosophical.

1) Has anyone used any of these products and do they do a noticeably better job on deepening the shine on your black cars?

2) I realize that any additional "depth" these products may offer to dark cars is a function of dyes, silicones etc... that hide swirls and/or paint flaws. But provided that the paint is well cared is there anything "wrong" with using these products. After all, the goal is to make the car look its best.

Just curious to hear thoughts on this. Thanks!!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:48 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Polishing Machines

Great thread! Without jacking the post, I have a question about polishing machines. Looks like the discussion is around the PC or Flex orbital machines. It's been a while since I last worked with a machine, but what I do have on my shelf is an old Cyclo orbital polisher. It has two counter rotating orbital interchangeable foam pads that are each about 3 inches in diameter. Does anyone have any experience with this machine and who can compare it to the PC and Flex machines discussed elsewhere in this thread.

Bottom line for me, is if the Cyclo is good enough, I really don't need to go out and purchase a new machine. However, if orbital technology is that much improved since I purchased my Cyclo (in 1999), I'd appreciate everyone's opinion.

When I purchased the Cyclo, it's main selling points were that it left no swirl marks and that it was close to impossible to burn through the paint, given the relatively low velocity of the 3 inch pads.

Quick Reply: I need a detail plan for a black cab