Notices

Advice for Griots Spray-On Car Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 04:20 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Advice for Griots Spray-On Car Wash?

Got Griots Garage spray on car wash for christmas. I finally have a little time to try and use it. Any advice or feedback before I subject my car to it? Very few reviews about it online anywhere. My plan is to do a coin op light wash to remove the majority of the salt and grime followed by this stuff in my garage at home.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...,+35+ounces.do

The other popular solution for winter time car washing would have been ONR, which I may do if this doesn't end up working. Thanks

Last edited by balefire; 01-22-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:00 AM
SeaPors
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use it regularly on Cayenne, Mercedes and previously on Audi and BMW. Works great and no ill effects. Use in between full washes for light dirt and spots. Use a quick detail spray (Griots Speed Shine or other) afterwards to add some shine.

Also a big fan of ONB which I might use to knock some of the heavier dirt off, dry then use the spray wash.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:08 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by balefire
Got Griots Garage spray on car wash for christmas. I finally have a little time to try and use it. Any advice or feedback before I subject my car to it? Very few reviews about it online anywhere. My plan is to do a coin op light wash to remove the majority of the salt and grime followed by this stuff in my garage at home.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...,+35+ounces.do

The other popular solution for winter time car washing would have been ONR, which I may do if this doesn't end up working. Thanks
Wow, this forum doesn't get much traffic does it? I was hoping for more responses on this topic as I am thinking about going this route myself to wash my car.

I really like your idea about pre-rinsing the car at a coin-op to get most of the heavy stuff off first. The more dirt you can remove from the cars surface with rinsing , before actually wiping the car with a mitt or cloth, the less chance there is for scraching. I am not to keen on the idea of coin-op car washes, however, because they use recycled water. I always feel like I am rinsing my car with the brine solution that came off the previous cars. I'd do the pre-rinse at my house instead.

I'm very leary about using ONR or the Griot's product on my Pcar because I worry about scratching. The paint on my car is very nice and I just cannot believe that these wash methods will not scratch the clearcoat.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Not so much a problem with the forum as it is the question. I have used many Griots products but I've never used the Spray on Car wash so I can't really comment on how it works or how it should be used.

Are you driving the P-Car with wet salty roads?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Not so much a problem with the forum as it is the question. I have used many Griots products but I've never used the Spray on Car wash so I can't really comment on how it works or how it should be used.

Are you driving the P-Car with wet salty roads?

I do not drive the Pcar when there is salt on the roads which means that my Pcar has not been out of the garage in about 5-6 weeks.

I am not asking about cleaning salt off of the car but rather cold weather car washing with ONR, Griots, etc in general.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waterless Wash

Waterless polymer based systems do not require pre-wetting the surfaces. A combination of polymers and surfactant cleaners safely removes dirt and grime and leaves a glossy protective finish. The polymers and surfactants used in these no rinse washes have the capability to bond to dirt particles and act as a barrier between the dirt particles and the paint. The grime and dirt is then trapped in the surfactant, protecting the paint finish with no need to use a large amount of water to flush the dirt off the vehicle.

With our busy schedules it’s very difficult to find enough time to wash your car and what with water restrictions and concerns for the environment it is even more difficult. Even when it's freezing outside it allows you to wash your vehicle. Some communities (condos, housing associations) prohibit the use of the traditional car washing (water hose and bucket) or severely restrict or do not allow car washing due to drought and water restrictions. Low winter temperatures make car washing difficult (and uncomfortable)

Always work in a shaded area on a surface that is cool to the touch. Make sure surface is not gritty with dirt or sand to avoid scratching. Optimum Opti™ - Clean water-less wash is designed to wipe away dirt and grime from automotive paint and other surfaces safely and effectively in a spray and wipe application. The substantive polymers encapsulate the dirt and grime to protect the paint from marring while lubricating and bonding to the painted and other automotive surfaces to provide greater protection while leaving a slick glossy finish behind.

Based on the same surfactant type polymers used in Optimum (OPT) No Rinse™ Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR) it has increased cleaning ability but is safe for use on all automotive surfaces. ONR works fine for a car with light to medium road dirt while Optimum Opti™ - Clean can be used on a car with several days of built- up road salt, dirt and grime.

The reason is that Opti™ - Clean contains the same polymers as ONR that encapsulate dirt but at a much higher concentration, as well as additional polymers not used in ONR. A totally waterless wash that provides some surface protection and its ideal for a quick clean up or for use when there is no water available (apartments, condominiums, concours d’élégance or car shows) Simply spray Optimum Opti-Clean on any surface and wipe off with a plush microfiber towel till the area is clean and dry.

[While both of these products are pH neutral, Opti™ - Clean contains much higher levels of polymers than No Rinse as well as some new polymers that we developed for this type of application. The added polymers are necessary to compensate for using a fraction of the water as compared to a regular No Rinse wash] David Ghodoussi OPT.

Application- - avoid cross-contamination by using different micro fibre towels for differing surfaces i.e. separate towels for glass, paintwork, wheels, and interior surfaces. Spray liberally on painted surfaces and wipe clean with a plush microfiber towel.

Fold and use a new section of the towel as needed. For glass and interior surfaces, apply one or two sprays and wipe off with a clean plush microfiber towel. For lower panels and wheels, spray liberally and let it soak for a few seconds and then wipe off. When there is heavy dirt build up, use Optimum (OPT) No Rinse™ Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR).

To remove salt and road grit or to clean really soiled surfaces I would suggest a pre-rinse to remove the larger dirt particles first before being washed. Then use the ONR concentrates or the traditional two-bucket wash method or if you have a pressure washer available to remove the larger dirt / salt particles.

The Optimum Opti-Mitt 8 Inch Foam Wash Mitt is a soft (80 – 100 PPI) nonabrasive wash mitt designed to work with Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine and Optimum Car Wash to remove grime without scratching. The porous foam "absorbs" dirt and oil to prevent paint marring. The coarse yellow foam is excellent at cleaning wheels. Use the Opti-Mitt every time you wash your vehicle for safe, swirl-free washing.

Directions for using the concentrate:
• Dilute Optimum Opti™ - Clean concentrate 1:3 with distilled water.
• Spray liberally on painted surfaces and wipe clean with a plush microfiber towel. Fold and use a new section of the towel as needed.
• Glass and interior surfaces, using a separate micro fibre towel apply one or two sprays and wipe off with a clean plush microfiber towel.
• Wheels and lower paint panels, using a separate micro fibre towel, spray liberally and let it soak for a few seconds and then wipe off. When there is heavy dirt build up, use Optimum (OPT) No Rinse™ Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR).

Quick Reply: Advice for Griots Spray-On Car Wash?