Notices

Winter, Leatherique with heater in the car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:39 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[Whoa, thanks for the info. Togwt, I guess you are this forum's tech guy.]

No I'm just someone with five decades of detailing knowledge and experience to share, approaching 70 I can't do but hopefully, I can teach...
Old 11-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

For reference Leather Masters Vital did soften the leather in my GT but I should also state that the leather wasn't that bad to begin with. One thing to watch for is that if you apply too much Vital it will result in a sticky surface and will need to be wiped down with a wet microfiber to remove excess.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:30 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Like all detailing products - less is more, it cannot be emphasised enough ‘Apply products very sparingly’ Ease of product removal is inversely proportional (less product easier removal) although its hard to resist 'if it looks this good with just a little, a lot more...'
Old 11-07-2010, 02:10 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 734 Likes on 388 Posts

We have been using the leatherique process for some time now and are always amazed of its ability to help new and old leather. The trick with leatherique is to clean the leather first with a proper leather cleaner. At least that's what we do. Once most of the dirt and oils are removed from the surface, the rejuvinator oil can do its job better. A minimum of 5-6 coats of the oil over a few days will truly begin to show the product's ability to bring leather to a whole new level. Then a few cleanings with prestine clean over a few days brings out the natural beauty in the hide. Hence why we carry it. After this major process, all you have to d is hydrate and clean the leather with prestine clean. The rej. oil process should realistically be done twice a year, unless a daily driver.

Here's a kit we put together to get you guys started:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...tioning/Detail
Old 11-07-2010, 02:49 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
We have been using the leatherique process for some time now and are always amazed of its ability to help new and old leather. The trick with leatherique is to clean the leather first with a proper leather cleaner. At least that's what we do. Once most of the dirt and oils are removed from the surface, the rejuvinator oil can do its job better. A minimum of 5-6 coats of the oil over a few days will truly begin to show the product's ability to bring leather to a whole new level. Then a few cleanings with prestine clean over a few days brings out the natural beauty in the hide. Hence why we carry it. After this major process, all you have to d is hydrate and clean the leather with prestine clean. The rej. oil process should realistically be done twice a year, unless a daily driver.

Here's a kit we put together to get you guys started:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...tioning/Detail
The above application method makes more sense than that recommended by Leatherqui.

Although I have a problem with oils and finished leather surfaces

[After the ph correct proteins and collagens from the Rejuvenator Oil have permeated back into the pours and fibers of the leather, strengthening and nourishing them, the surface may be tacky, sticky, gritty, or have a white haze. This is simply the dirt, grime, air pollution, perspiration, salts and other toxins that have floated out of the leather to the surface. Apply Prestine Clean by putting it in a Spray Bottle then wipe off with a SOFT lint free cloth] Leatherequi.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 734 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
The above application method makes more sense than that recommended by Leatherqui.

Although I have a problem with oils and finished leather surfaces

[After the ph correct proteins and collagens from the Rejuvenator Oil have permeated back into the pours and fibers of the leather, strengthening and nourishing them, the surface may be tacky, sticky, gritty, or have a white haze. This is simply the dirt, grime, air pollution, perspiration, salts and other toxins that have floated out of the leather to the surface. Apply Prestine Clean by putting it in a Spray Bottle then wipe off with a SOFT lint free cloth] Leatherequi.
Leave it up to detailers to further perfect techniques
Old 11-09-2010, 08:12 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

After RO has been sitting for 48hr, the RO wet from a wet look, to glossy, to a matte finish with a white glaze. So I wipe down the RO on 2 of the seats. I used damped micro fiber towels. I used warm water, and many towels, until the leather was no longer oily. When I ring out the towels, it is like muddy water.
I then wet a clean micro fiber towel with the prestine cleaner, air dries pretty quick.

The leather is definitely softer, but I feel that is not the softest the leather could be. My car is 43k and I never touched or felt this leather when it was brand new. So my expectation is along the likes of new BMW leather, which I have/had many. Even though it is softer, it is still not as soft as new BMW leather, or "glove soft" as some had described.

At this point, my original question came to mind. Was the lack of heat a factor? Could it be softer if i used heat?

As I said earlier, I only cleaned 2 seats after 48hrs. I just wipe down the other 2, which makes a total of 5 days. The other 2 seats are not any noticably softer. So I am not exactly sure if time is a factor also.

End result I am happy with, it is softer, no question. Feels clean, nice consistency. So I didn't feel like I wasted product or effort.

Come spring I will give it another try. For now, that's my experience with leatherique.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Leave it up to detailers to further perfect techniques
Proper Technique

There is no `one correct way' to apply a product; the way detailing products are customized, are what each individual finds give them their desired results, which may or may not be in accordance with the manufacturer’s recomendations. Using the same application methods and products of one individual may or may not give you the similar results; but it’s always best to adopt your own methodologies by experimentation with different products, after all that half the fun of detailing

Last edited by TOGWT; 11-10-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:43 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by safecaremergencykits
you need a xxxxxxx car emergency kits[/URL], it will help you a lot.
And you Sir should stop spamming this forum. If you want to advertize become a forum sponser, admin will be happy to help with this

Last edited by 911SLOW; 05-01-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spam link

Quick Reply: Winter, Leatherique with heater in the car?