Notices

Not the usual repainting question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:05 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Not the usual repainting question

So, my 944 got egged last summer. The egg was on the car in the hot Las Vegas sun for over a day. I didn't notice the egg until that evening, so even after I cleaned off the egg, the paint is still stained. Its not horrible, but it is defiantly there.

My question is....

I'm going to be respraying my whole car this winter. Will the left over egg stain bleed through the new paint over time? Meaning, do I need to completely sand out the egg stain, or can I just prep sand it like the rest of the car?

Also, are there any products that will prevent egg from bleeding into my new paint.... if it should happen again..

Thanks,
Old 10-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Eggs can be nasty if they are left on paint too long and I highly doubt any products will protect it against what you described.

I'll leave the repainting question to the experts.....
Old 10-31-2010, 06:51 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Egg Stains / Damage to Paint surface

As well as the impact damage, egg contains Albumin (refers generally to any protein with water solubility) and amino Aspartic and Glutamic acids that will erode the clear coat and eventually the basecoat if not neutralized / removed. If the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated each time it comes into contact with water (See also Reactivity)

Saturate the area with Isopropyl Alcohol and keep it ‘wet’ for 4-5 minutes with a soaked towel laid on the stain, do not agitate the surface. Flush with clean water and dry thoroughly. Inspect surface for cracking, discoloration or other damage with a 30X lighted magnifying loupe, use a chemical cleaner to remove any discoloration, and then a suitably abrasive polish or wet-sand to level the paint surface to below the level of the etching (an shallow indentation in the paint surface caused by an acid)

Then apply a paint protection product. If the clear coat shows signs of failure (cracking) take vehicle to a professional paint / body shop.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome!

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Not the usual repainting question