Notices

Car wax advice. How to?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 PM
blandis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wax advice. How to?

Purchased 88 Black 928. Am picking it up this weekend and will start cleaning it up when I get home. Not sure as exact condition of paint, but pics and PPI state paint is clean. Pics are here if that helps: http://rides.webshots.com/album/577869626FfTvBJ

My question is for a DIY what should I do and use on the exterior. Is there a beginner thread on here for us beginners? Or should I have a good detailer go over it first, and then I take care/maintain it after that.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TOGWT™ Detailing Article Series

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...hyperlinks.htm

Specifically "Detailing 101-The Baics"
Old 06-18-2010, 05:56 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

I've found that Adam's products work really well for the average home detailer.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/

Great "how to" videos also.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Congrats, looks like a really nice shark!

The paint does look pretty good in the pictures. Without seeing it it's hard to say what it definitely needs but at minimum it needs a finishing polish to bring out the depth and reflective qualities of the paint. You should also check the surface for contaminants, if it hasn't been clayed recently I would assume it will need it.

Unless the detailer comes highly recommended or you've seen his/her work I wouldn't let them touch the car. Many will do more damage than good.

I've posted several how to threads which explain what is required to detail the exterior. As long as you're not clumsy and you're patient you'll be fine. Do a quick search.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 PM
blandis
Racer

That should get me started. I did a search and so much info. Not comfortable doing a mechanical polish myself. Afshin, you nailed it, dont want to screw a good thing up! Paint is not perfect but very presentable and I dont want to damage it.
I know there are a few guys here in DFW who do great work. My just bite the bullet, spend the money and have one of them get it back in shape. Then just maintain it myself going forward!
Appreciate your guys input.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Watch Karate Kid #1 Wax on, Wax off
Old 06-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Watch Karate Kid #1 Wax on, Wax off
Ahh the good ol days when waxing a car required tons of effort. These days there are so many good waxes and they are nearly effortless to apply and remove. Pinnacle Souveran is one of my favorites.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Arlington, TX
Get intouch with this guy...he is the best in town
Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 AM
mx22
Burning Brakes

Is that Guards Red? If you plan to polish it, be careful - turns out Porsche used single stage paint coating on for Guards Red so there is no clear coat; you will be polishing straight on paint. I have Guards Red 1987 and finishing up polishing it - removing only top scratches, but since I do not have a paint meter I'm leaving all of the deaper ones as is.

Definitely take a look at videos' on Adam's polishes. Whether you will end up buying their products or will go for something else, it is worth watching them just to see the flow and what it takes to do a proper job. If you do plan to do machine polishing - make sure you head to Adam's forums and look up Junkman's section. He has a lot of videos' - in fact, I like his stuff more then Adam's promo stuff. He covers everything from wash to final wax.

Also head to detailingbliss forum and ask any questions you have. Adam's forums are also active, but you will be limiting yourself to Adam's products only...

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Car wax advice. How to?