Notices

How to remove rubber scuffs on clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:23 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts
Default How to remove rubber scuffs on clear bra?

I drive my GT3 on the track and, inevitably, pick up scuffs from the rubber bits that get shot at the car on the track. Although its quite easy to get this off the paint, does anybody have a good solution for removing these scuffs from the clear bra'd portions of the car?

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:44 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 751 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
I drive my GT3 on the track and, inevitably, pick up scuffs from the rubber bits that get shot at the car on the track. Although its quite easy to get this off the paint, does anybody have a good solution for removing these scuffs from the clear bra'd portions of the car?

Thanks.
Menzerna SIP or Power Finish does the trick for us most of the time.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...rna/Categories
Old 05-14-2010, 08:15 PM
BBrice
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends which generation bra you have, some are easily cleaned up with alcohol, some are clear coated in a sense, and some are not polishable.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:39 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

As BBrice said, it depends on the material used. Many can be buffed, some cannot. Do you know what film was used?

Old 05-15-2010, 02:31 AM
BBrice
Intermediate

Xpel, love your website! Looks like you do quality work as well, too bad you're not in the DC area, I could use a good bra installer to recommend to clients.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Todd Helme
Intermediate

As suggested Menzerna SIP and 106ff/fa can work on some clear bra material with pretty good results.

If you are going to polish the clear bra with these I would hope you first have some experience with using a polisher, either an random orbital or a rotary (preferably the former for clear bras).

Use a small pad, and moderate speed (3000 opm or 600-800 rpm), and an open celled foam pad, like a Lake Country Orange. I would not recommend using the white pad as it is a blended foam that will hold more heat (bad with a clear bra).

Before polishing the entire clear bra do a small test section first!!!! Some clear bras will not react well with the sharp abrasives and petroleum distillates in the polish. At the very least nothing good (or bad will happen), at the worst you will permanently damage the coating.

Before spending money on a machine, learning to polish, buying polishes, pads (if any of the above are even applicable) I would start with a simple bottle of diluted isopropyl alcohol) and a soft towel. Spray a test spot with the alcohol, spread, and buff into the coating. On some films this will dramatically reduce or remove the rubber scuffs completely with little cost or effort. Again test a small section first.

If the alcohol doest remove them, then you can either attempt to clean them by abrasion (removing material) or chemically.

I would start chemically and use a mild all-purpose cleaner such as Meguiar's APC or Optimum Power Clean. Spray onto a towel or firm foam application and lightly work into the film with a polishing action.

If you are going to abrade the scuffs away (may be completely necessary) you don't need to spend money on a machine, polishes, etc. Pick up a bottle of Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound or ScratchX2.0 or SwirlX (from most to least aggressive. ScratchX2.0 should be more than enough power). Apply to a towel and wipe with passion over the mark until it begins to fade.

Before doing this approach do a test section in first to make sure (the same as the Menzerna polishes) that you will not run into problems.

Best of luck!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:31 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi BBrice, We do have installers in DC. We have installers all over North America and abroad. I will PM you a recommendation for your area.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff's strong prime and some elbow grease can't do the trick for you?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Sponge works for me. Not for use on paint though.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:24 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is it important not to use products containing solvents?

Acrylic, polycarbonates, and plastics are all porous materials. They will absorb whatever you place on their surface over time. Do not use solvents on clear film as they have the ability to degrade the backing and/or adhesive as well its effect on dulling or creating inconsistent clarity on the surface of the film.

Solvents will break down, deteriorate and cause the surface to yellow, there are many ways solvents are introduced to transparencies: washer/cleaner fluids, jet fuel, de-icing fluids, paint thinners, unapproved window cleaners, and polishes. It is very important to read the labels of the products you use around your transparencies. Anything containing, petroleum distillates, ammonia, or alcohol is not recommended.

Quick Reply: How to remove rubber scuffs on clear bra?