Notices

Basics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Basics?

I'm brand-new to Porsche, and my new-to-me 944, in guards red with clear-coat starting to peel. I've been surfing the posts, and there are some great suggestions out there for cleaning/waxing/polishing/clay-ing/leather cleaning; thanks!

I'm looking to start with the basics: I've read the technique for washing/drying, and now I'm looking for products. It seems like the typical retail store products, like Mother's and Meguires aren't so well-liked, and that specialty products may be better. I'll get the right lambswool mitt and soft towel; I'm more worried about soap, wax and clay brands.

Seems like with leather, the Leatherique or Leathermasters are preferred, with perhaps a Woolite/water solution to clean first.

Trying to put it all into one single post. Thanks for your patience.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Meguiars Gold Class soap is very good actually. It does a good job sheeting water which minimizes water spots. Mothers Clay works well and I believe most auto stores have clay magic as well which is good.

What most auto stores don't have are really good polishes, vinyl products and leather products. Meguiars polishes are very good as are 3M. I've heard Menzerna is excellent but I haven't used it yet so I won't comment.

For the leather, Leathermasters is excellent and Leatherique is also great once a year.

Note that your car may be resprayed. Porsche didn't clearcoat Guards red until 1995 IIRC. I've polished 1994 Guards Red 928's with single stage paint.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:19 AM
GlisteningTech
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marine Blue is correct about your paint, I believe that your car initially came with a single stage red paint, meaning that the clear coat and paint were mixed together one one coat rather than layered in separate coats.

As for your product selection, we believe that car care products come in three basic categories: consumer, pro-sumer, and professional/boutique.

Consumer: These are the brands of products that you typically find at your automotive stores. Standard Megiuars, Mothers, Turtle Wax, Armor-All, etc.

Pro-Sumer: These are the products that you will find offered to most enthusiasts from the sponsors here. P21s, Einszett (1Z), Auto Glym, Meguiars Detailer, Leatherique, etc.

Professional / Boutique: Swissvax, Lumiere, Zymol

For the most bang for your buck, we really recommend the Pro-Sumer level products for the automotive enthusiast. The price of the products isn't drastically different than products that you would find of a more basic consumer nature, but the quality of the products and how they work is significantly better.

Soap: We currently offer soap from P21s which is their Bodywork Shampoo, and another soap from Einszett which is their Perls Shampoo. They are both really great products that are made to provide a really great lather and suds to encapsulate the contaminants that are loosened from the surface during washing. They are designed to not strip off any of your paint protection, while still being strong enough to loosen contaminants like dirt, grease, bugs, etc.
P21s Bodywork Shampoo: http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...Shampoo/Detail
Einszett Perls Shampoo: http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...00mL%2C/Detail

Wax: Paint protection is something that many people have some extremely varied opinions on. Do you want something organic like a Carnauba? The benefits of a product like that are a solid level of protection, while giving a great enhancement to color depth and gloss. Do you want a synthetic paint sealant? Those products can offer enhanced protection and gloss and shine as well. They offer more gloss to your paint than an organic wax, but give more shine and an enhanced level of protection. In this category we recommend a few different products. If you want something like a Carnauba wax, we recommend the P21s 100% carnauba. It works extremely well, goes on easily and comes off easily, and gives a great enhancement to the depth and gloss of your paint finish. With a Guards Red Porsche, this is probably what I would recommend as it will really pull out that paint color. If you want to have a more solid level of protection, then you could go with a synthetic. We recommend Einszett Glanz Wax. It is a liquid paint sealant that offers a great level of protection and a really great enhancement to the shine and gloss of your paint finish. It couldn't possibly be easier to put on and take off, so that makes it a great product as well.
P21s 100% Carnauba: http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...uba-wax/Detail
Einszett Glanz Wax: http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...00mL%2C/Detail

Clay: We actually did a great segment on clay in our latest podcast. It should be posted up later this week so be sure to check it out. We give a rundown on the origin of clay, how it is used, and its benefits. A few important things to keep in mind with clay, is level of cut, and attention to proper usage and the proper lubricant to use with the clay. For most enthusiasts, we recommend a light to moderate level of cut with the clay that you are using. Any of the more aggressive types of clay tend to marr the paint surface so you don't want to use those for every day usage. The lubricant that is specifically recommended to be used with the clay is important as well. Clays have special properties, so using the right lube not only helps to protect your paint surface, it also helps the clay to perform as well as it possibly can. The Clay and Lubricant that we have been using for the past few months is made by Lumiere and it works fantastic. It has a moderate level of cut that is great for all paint finishes, and comes in a 200 gram bar. That is about twice as much clay as you get from most manufacturers. It comes pre-broken down into individual segments for your usage as well which is really convenient. Simply use the pre-designated portions, flatten out the clay into a pancake shape, and be sure to use the specified lubricant liberally on all surfaces.

Lumiere Clay and Lube: http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ere/Categories

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. Also remember to enter Rennlist as your promotion code with your order to get a discount!

Quick Reply: Basics?