Notices

Build up along clear 3M hood protector

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010 | 07:16 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Default Build up along clear 3M hood protector

I have developed a noticeable line of wax etc along the edge of my 3m hood protector. I tried using a clay bar to get it off, but the clay is now part of the white line build up. I don't want to rub too hard, or use brushes which may leave scratches. Any advice for tidying up this area?

Thanks!

(Please do not use this thread to debate the merits of these hood protectors vs rock chips and respraying. There are plenty of these threads already.)
Old 03-23-2010 | 07:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The following has worked for me.

Use your favorite quick detailer and spray the edges which have the wax build up. Let it sit for a minute. Using your softest microfiber gently wipe in the same direction as the line. Spray and wipe a few times until the wax is gone. If the wax has been there for a while you can use a blend of isopropyl/water using the same technique.

Next time when you're waxing wipe from the film side towards the paint. The difference in height will create a gap at the edge of the film and it will prevent build up at the edges.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 03-24-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2010 | 11:11 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Wurth Citrus Degreaser (www.wurthusa.com) on a Q-Tip. Trace the edge a few times. And wipe the edge off with a quality towel.

When waxing, tape off the clear bra edges with 3-M tape. The expensive blue tape (Home Depot) or the green automotive stuff at the auto parts store.

Quick Reply: Build up along clear 3M hood protector