Notices

Leather rip question (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leather rip question (with pictures)

A 944 Turbo track car I picked up just before the winter has a rip in the driver's seat, as well as some heavy wear to the outside bolster.

Can anyone give me some advice specific to the images pictured? I haven't come across many credible or well-illustrated sources for leather rip repair online, and I'm hoping someone here can make some recommendations for products and procedure.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images    
Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Charlie,

I've never performed a leather repair although I'm about to on one of our couches in the house (son tore through with one of his toys). I can give you some feedback after I give it a go.

Alternatively there are some leather companies which may provide a how to guide such as Leatherique or Leathermagic. Might be worth investigating if your on a short timeline to get it done.

I'm going to give Leathermagic a try in the next few weeks since I was very happy with their dye product. I'll report back.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please do! My sense is that the leather is pretty dry, and while I realize that that isn't good for its longevity, I'm hesitant to treat it if it will interfere with the bonding agents required to close the rip. Anyway, if you're able to take a picture or two, I'm sure it would really help!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bolster wear can only be repaired by re-dying. It can be made to look nicer with proper cleaning and treatment but it will not put any color back in.

The tear can be sewn. You'll need a special looped needle (made for leather and heavy fabrics) and some durable matching thread. It will not be a perfect repair but the cheaper way to go. To try and do a leather repair on your own (sanding, filling, spraying) is not suggested as you'll most likely do more harm than good.

Most leather repair pros would suggest a re-cover because the leather does look worn but on average your looking at about $80 to $100 for the repair.

Anthony
Old 01-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie: Can you get to Toronto? PM me - Glenn
Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 AM
pushtiulk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can restore the leather with leatherique dye. Contact leatherique and send them the pictures. The will advise what you should do.

Quick Reply: Leather rip question (with pictures)