Notices

Window scratches fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 03:41 PM
arjag
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window scratches fix

I have a 1998 CS that for the most part is immaculate. I have benefitted greatly from the wisdom of this board. You guys rock. I have come being a wash and wax guy to a clean, polish, seal wax and treat guy. A polisher is next! Anyway enough with the gushing - don't want to give you guys swelled heads.
Next project is my windshield. Other than a slight arc of scratches on both sides the windshield is perfect. You even have to look in the right light to notice them but they are there. Can these be removed, by a novice, with the kits that are used with a PC? Do I risk doing more harm than good.
Thanks is advance.
Alex
Old 01-10-2010, 04:48 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, you cannot fix it. If it's just etching, you should be able to correct it with a PC. I had very stubborn wiper tracks on my Acura and nothing would take it out (vinegar/water, compound, polish, scotch brite, barkeeepers friend, etc). I found this product from autogeek that completely got rid of them. I highly recommend it. You'll need a PC and some patience, but I can say that it does work.

http://www.autogeek.net/lc-pro-glass-kit.html
Old 01-11-2010, 04:59 PM
arjag
Instructor

RL911 thanks. It is just etching and this is the kit that I had seen. Good feedback, I'll give it a try.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 PM
GlisteningTech
Advanced

Let us know how it turns out. I've heard good things about that kit.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:32 PM
arjag
Instructor

Default Window Scratches Fix - Update

I got the Lake Country Mfg. Glass Polishing System and tried it to day with my PC. I was very pleased with the results. You remember, from my first post, that there were big arc scratches, about 1-2 inches wide, across both sides of the windshield from the wipers. You could not feel these with a finger nail but they were real and not just dirt. I used the polishing system and it completely removed these scratches. It took a little more time and elbow grease than the 2 minutes that the instructions said but then again I think that I was pretty picky. The windshield still has a couple of stone chips and bigger scratches but it looks almost new now. The scratches are completely gone.
Very pleased with the results.
Sorry I couldn't get before and after pictures but you couldn't really see the scratches in the pictures.
Alex
98 Carrera S
Old 01-31-2010, 06:13 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to hear it! Took way more than 2 minutes for me as well.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 PM
arjag
Instructor

Hey RL911, thanks for steering me to this product. I appreciate it.

Alex
Old 02-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Thank you for the feedback Alex, this will certainly be useful for others. Can you post what type of pad you used and the speed setting on the PC? Did the product generate dusting or was it a relatively clean application?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 PM
arjag
Instructor

Hi Afshin,
Glad to expand for you. I used the pads that came with the kit. The kit comes with a 4 inch backing plate and two pads, a small bottle of polish and rain-x sealant. These pads are very different from the regular polishing pads that I have for my Porter Cable. They are almost hard as opposed to the soft foam pads. It is not obvious which way the pads go on the backing plate until you put one on the wrong way and it goes flying off! A little trial and error in trying the pads both ways will show which way it should go on.
I used the polish as per the manufacturers instructions with minor deviations. Holding the pads at a 45 degree angle to the windshield seemed odd at first but you realize that you actually get more pressure on the winshield this way. Make sure that you work in small sections otherwise the polish dries out too quickly and you will need multiple applicaitons.
The stuff does spray a little so mask or cover as much as you can. Remember it is a grit so you don't want to be wiping it off the paint. It is also a little dusty but not too bad, it is the dried polish that is dusty. I just used my car duster for clean up. Very minor dustiness.
I used ~5000 (setting 4 on my PC) rpm and worked slowly in a small area at a time. I didn't apply much pressure but I don't think it would be a big problem to apply moore pressure with the random orbit polisher - there was no indication of any heat beiong formed. Anyway you would deform the pad before you applied too much pressure. It took a couple of hours but I am a perfectionist. I did multiple applications in small areas. I think that this is the best approach to ensure overlap so that you don't miss any areas. After I had finished I cleaned the windshield, applied the rain-x to seal and I was amazed by the result. It actually looked better than I had hoped. I highly recommend the product. In terms of DIY difficulty it is a 1-2 out of 10 - very easy, mostly just elbow grease.
Let me know if you need more info - always glad to recommend a good product (no affiliation BTW, just a satisfied customer).
Alex
98 Carrera S Black/Black
Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 PM
arjag
Instructor

Hi Afshin,
Glad to expand for you. I used the pads that came with the kit. The kit comes with a 4 inch backing plate and two pads, a small bottle of polish and rain-x sealant. These pads are very different from the regular polishing pads that I have for my Porter Cable. They are almost hard as opposed to the soft foam pads. It is not obvious which way the pads go on the backing plate until you put one on the wrong way and it goes flying off! A little trial and error in trying the pads both ways will show which way it should go on.
I used the polish as per the manufacturers instructions with minor deviations. Holding the pads at a 45 degree angle to the windshield seemed odd at first but you realize that you actually get more pressure on the winshield this way. Make sure that you work in small sections otherwise the polish dries out too quickly and you will need multiple applicaitons.
The stuff does spray a little so mask or cover as much as you can. Remember it is a grit so you don't want to be wiping it off the paint. It is also a little dusty but not too bad, it is the dried polish that is dusty. I just used my car duster for clean up. Very minor dustiness.
I used ~5000 (setting 4 on my PC) rpm and worked slowly in a small area at a time. I didn't apply much pressure but I don't think it would be a big problem to apply moore pressure with the random orbit polisher - there was no indication of any heat beiong formed. Anyway you would deform the pad before you applied too much pressure. It took a couple of hours but I am a perfectionist. I did multiple applications in small areas. I think that this is the best approach to ensure overlap so that you don't miss any areas. After I had finished I cleaned the windshield, applied the rain-x to seal and I was amazed by the result. It actually looked better than I had hoped. I highly recommend the product. In terms of DIY difficulty it is a 1-2 out of 10 - very easy, mostly just elbow grease.
Let me know if you need more info - always glad to recommend a good product (no affiliation BTW, just a satisfied customer).
Alex
98 Carrera S Black/Black
Old 02-01-2010, 03:52 PM
arjag
Instructor

Crap - posted twice!!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex, thank you for the detailed post. Very helpful!

Did you monitor the progress while you were polishing? For example, did you try polishing an area and then look to determine if the scratches had indeed been polished out or did you wait until applying the Rain X to determine the outcome?

Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:47 PM
arjag
Instructor

Afshin,
I am too impatient to wait, I monitored the progress throughout. To clarify, I wiped down the area that I treated to see the progress after each treatment. I could definitely see improvement every time. Once I applied the rain-x it was even better. You don't realize how much a little polishing will make a difference. I know that we all have seen the results of a wax/polish on our cars paint but it is the same on the windshield of an older car.
Alex
98 S
Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex thank you again for the additional info.

I agree, glass needs the same attention to detail as our paint. Same applies for the leather, rubber, trim etc. If you use good techniques and good products throughout you will transform the appearance.

To maintain your glass and keep it perfect you can use clay ocasionally, it will leave a beautiful finish and remove any embedded dirt.

Thanks again, this will definitely come in handy.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:31 PM
arjag
Instructor

One last but important thing to mention. Clean the wiper blades and make sure htey are in good shape. You don't want to undo, in 30 seconds, what it took you 2 hous to achieve. My wipers had crud on the baldes even thought he car had been washed and the blades were in good shape.

Alex

Quick Reply: Window scratches fix