Notices

Carnubagasm!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:49 PM
arjag
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carnubagasm!

After years of thinking that I was using wax I finally realized that I wasn't using carnuba wax but synthetic versions.

Let me add that until now I haven't really owned a black car unless you count the one that I had when I was 20. I was in lust then so it all looked good. With my new 993 I have been lurking in this forum for a while and I have obviously learned a lot. I have been using polishes (only by hand so far - but I am getting big arms!!!) and thought I was waxing the car. I wasn't really satisfied especially when I compared to the cars I saw on here. I was beginning to wonder if you guys were conspiring with photoshop to make us look bad so that we would come to you! (Not that I wouldn't, but here in Nova Scotia I haven't found any of you and it's a long drive to NJ - I used to live there so I know.) Then I clued in and bought carnuba. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I guess the synthetic stuff is the equivalent of the sealer that you use? Good for a base coat.

Now I can't wait to get a polisher, I'll be calling soon. (PC or Flex for a newbie like me - but I'm leaning towards the Flex but don't want overkill)

You guys rock. I'm hooked.

Alex

98 993 S
Old 12-04-2009, 09:41 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a died in the wool Carnauba fan myself, I've tried the synthetics. Never was pleased with the results. My car is garaged most of the time so Carnauba offers all the protection I need.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Plus one for Carnauba, I use P21 and Pinnacle Souveran on the 928 and DD's. I prefer the look, ease of application and smell over any synthetic I've used. I also like how it leaves a barrier between the elements and the paint and reduces light scratches and scuffs.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:10 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CliffNotes® Version

There are two main types of wax; Organic (Natural) and Non-Organic (Synthetic)

Organic Wax - Carnauba (Brasilia) Wax - is an organic (containing carbons) or natural product, a vegetable wax (fat) wax derived from the fronds of the carnauba palm, Copernicia prunifera, a plant native to and grown only in the north-eastern Brazilian states of Piauí, Ceará, and Rio Grande do Norte. It is known as "queen of waxes” and usually comes in the form of hard yellow-brown flakes. It is obtained from the fronds of the carnauba palm by collecting them, beating them to loosen the wax, then refining the wax.

Non-Organic Wax- these synthetic waxes are formulated with polymers, which are more durable than organic waxes. Synthetic waxes commonly mix low amounts of cleaners with high amounts of U.V. inhibitors to create the same protective layer that carnauba do. Synthetic wax creates a high gloss while carnauba waxes give a warm and wet looking finish e.g. Finish Kare FK1000P is a non-organic wax with a 250.oF melting point
Old 12-15-2009, 03:23 AM
Richard L.
7th Gear

I personally prefer to have the more durable synthetic waxes.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:45 AM
Trista
Intermediate

As far as protection goes, which gives better protection from things like bird droppings, bug guts, ect. The consensus seems to be that synthetic waxes last longer, but not much is said about the actual protective qualities. Anyone have the answer to this?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:39 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Polymers cross-link and form a molecular bond with the paint surface, this is what makes them so durable, however a Carnauba wax provides a sacrificial surface covering that is more resistant to acid (i.e. acid rain, bird excrement, etc) but they will, given time, permeate the wax so clean off safely ASAP

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Polymers cross-link and form a molecular bond with the paint surface, this is what makes them so durable, however a Carnauba wax provides a sacrificial surface covering that is more resistant to acid (i.e. acid rain, bird excrement, etc) but they will, given time, permeate the wax so clean off safely ASAP

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Those are my exact observations.

I prefer carnauba applied every 4 - 6 weeks depending on the season.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:18 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

My heart prefers the 'look' of organic waxes, my head tells me to use non-organic wax , so I compromise and use both
Old 12-22-2009, 09:00 PM
arjag
Instructor

I must say that after using both synthetic and natural (carnauba) waxes over the past few weeks I can definitely say that the carnauba shine and depth of gloss is much greater than the synthetic wax. The trade off is the durability. The carnauba will need to be reapplied more often. Next thread we can get into a debate on whether you get a better shine from a $20 Mothers carnauba or a $2000 Swissvax carnauba. Can the Swissvax really be 100 times better in either shine, gloss or durability? Hope someone out there can answer becuase I am not about to find out (unless someone offers to donate a couple of cans to allow me to do a head-to-head comparison - the answers I will gladly share with the group!).
I do agree that the hard part is the prep work - spend your time there. Put on a coat or two of synthetic for durability and add a coat of carnauba for shine.
Alex - sorry for the lecture!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Since you've asked....

I personally have found that the higher end carnauba waxes do look a bit deeper and glossier. They also layer better. My personal favorite is Pinnacle Souveran which I have compared head to head against many other carnauba's and synthetics and I prefer its look. The higher end carnauba's are also easier to apply and usually won't leave behind the white residue.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:15 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

+1 for Pinnacle Souveran, I've compared it to many Zymol Estate Glaze waxes and its very difficult neigh on impossible to tell one from the other
Old 12-23-2009, 09:43 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too believe that carnauba waxes will give you more deep, wetness, shine, warmth to the paint. it will also mute metallics.

My favorite carb's are Lusso Oro, SV Concorso, SV Crystal Rock.

Crystal Rock
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 12-23-2009, 09:54 PM
lotecredneck
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I"m with Phil, Lusso Oro rocks..... Especially on a black 996!

Tony
Old 12-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

I wash, clay bar and apply Zaino AIO followed by a coat or two of Z2 and the ZCS about every 6 months, and apply P21S concourse when cured and every month or so between.

Quick Reply: Carnubagasm!