Plastic panel cleaning and conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plastic panel cleaning and conditioning

hey guys. OT suggested some of you may have some excellent advice on cleaning plastic interior body panels.

These panels will be removed.

I am considering using warm soap and water drip dry and I am confused on the type of conditioner to apply.

WWYD?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:45 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Me personally I would get a good brush and mix some sort of all purpose cleaner like Optimum Power Clean to a low dilution like 5:1 with distilled water (assuming the pieces aren't too dirty). Give it a good rinsing and make sure you dry it well so it doesn't water spot.

Since they are interior pieces, you should go with a plastic/vinyl protectant from Einzsett or maybe 303 Aerospace protectant. It depends on how much gloss you want...do a little research on this forum to find out which product looks the best to you. Hope some others will chime in.

I like Einzsett's product in that it lasts a long time and is not too glossy, but it is a bit too slick/sticky and does attract a bit of dirt.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:37 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 753 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Loaded
hey guys. OT suggested some of you may have some excellent advice on cleaning plastic interior body panels.

These panels will be removed.

I am considering using warm soap and water drip dry and I am confused on the type of conditioner to apply.

WWYD?
For cleaning, IMHO nothing beats Autoglym Interior Shampoo/Cleaner. This product safely cleans vinyl and fabrics. Imported from England, we've been using this product since 1995 and have yet to find a better cleaner. Simply spray on the carpet or the vinyl or plastic, agitate with soft bristle brush, then wipe clean with microfiber towel. Simple, effective, and economical too.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ttle%2C/Detail

As for conditioning, I like einszett Vinyl Rubber Care or Swissvax Protecton. The einszett does have a real slick feel but is easy to work with. Use either product with one of our GP Applicators, and wipe of with a microfiber towel after 15 minutes to give a satin finish.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...Care%2C/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...x-vinyl/Detail
Old 10-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

There are many specific products available for interior cleaning, most work well and will get the job done. I personally like Griots Interior Cleaner

Protectants such as 303 Aerospace, Einzett, Griots Vinyl/Rubber and a few others are excellent. They protect with UV Blockers without adding too much shine.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:32 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cleaning Vinyl
Like all detailing task’s the correct preparation before applying the product will ensure that it works correctly, and has both durability and aesthetics. Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' is an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner for vinyl trim and urethane covered automotive upholstery, that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore your interiors original texture and resiliency; use to clean all coloured and clear water-based acrylic polyurethane covered automotive upholstery; this product is biodegradable, formalin-free and environmentally friendly.

Wash vinyl surfaces with soapy water and rinse with clean water and then thoroughly dry. Then use 1z Plastik Reiniger before the application of a suitable dressing.

Protection - with 1z einszett Vinyl Rubber Care & Potectant "Tiefenpfleger” provides a temperature-resistant seal and a low-shine matte finish Dust-resistant and retards the fading effects of UV rays to keep exterior ‘rubber’ and vinyl looking like new.

Application -
Spray onto a clean micro fibre towel, agitate lightly and then wipe dry

Vinyl and hard plastic surfaces- (including the dash) apply any dressings very sparingly as these surfaces don’t allow the dressings to penetrate very well. Apply a suitable matte type dressing (Iz Cockpit Premium) to ensure that there is no reflection on the windshield, thus reducing visibility. Alternate with a UVR protection (303™ Space Protectant or Optimum Protectant Plus) especially to the dash and any other surface that is subjected to sunlight on a regular basis

Virtually all vinyl manufacturers agree that (Dimethal Silicones (DMS) should not be used on vinyl (See £Rubber Dressings” - Solvent -based silicone dressings)

Quick Reply: Plastic panel cleaning and conditioning