Notices

Dang Water Spots- Non P Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 03:44 PM
savantauto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dang Water Spots- Non P Car

My daily driver - Black 2008 Jetta Wolfsburg has really heavy water staining from my sprinkler system. Yesterday I used the Griot's orbital buffer with machine Polish 3 (two times) then 2 then 1. I am not happy with the results. The water spots are still present ( 95%) and was wondering if there is anything else I could
try. This was my first time using a machine and was wondering if my lack of experience is the problem?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:44 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 738 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by savantauto
My daily driver - Black 2008 Jetta Wolfsburg has really heavy water staining from my sprinkler system. Yesterday I used the Griot's orbital buffer with machine Polish 3 (two times) then 2 then 1. I am not happy with the results. The water spots are still present ( 95%) and was wondering if there is anything else I could
try. This was my first time using a machine and was wondering if my lack of experience is the problem?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
It depends on the pad you used as well. I'd recommend using a better polish and pad combo. Try using Menzerna SIP and a medium polishing pad and then follow it up with Menzerna Super Finish and a light polishing pad.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ish-Kit/Detail

You're basically trying to polish off the impurities on the paint as a result of the water spots drying and leaving behind the minerals in the water.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:29 PM
savantauto
Instructor

I will give that process a try. If it does not work on the first round, do I try it again or just give up?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:08 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 738 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by savantauto
I will give that process a try. If it does not work on the first round, do I try it again or just give up?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
If the clay, polish, wax route doesn't work, we must gauge how much better the paint looks from when you started. You'll then have to get into machine polishing if the desired results weren't achieved by hand. If you've exauasted all your options by machine polishing, a body shop can better take over from there. They can get into machine compounding, wetsanding, or let you know if a repaint would be the best course of action.

But, from my experience, unless the water spots are so bad that they've etched through the clear coat, the process of claying, polishing, and waxing does the trick.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:30 PM
savantauto
Instructor

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Dang Water Spots- Non P Car