Notices

Orginal owner was a smoker...help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009 | 05:01 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Default Orginal owner was a smoker...help!

The original owner of my car smoked cigarettes in the car.
Fortunately, there are no burn marks in the headliner or any type of visual damage caused by a rather serious habit.

The car was traded at a Pcar dealer, CPO'd, and put on the lot.
The second owner only owned the car for 6 months (wife wanted a beach house, Pcar had to go). He was not a smoker.

The dealer must have done a great job cleaning the car because the smell was not immediately noticeable.

However, if you leave the windows up for a while and get in the car, you are greeted by a cigarette smell.

I know this is probably one of the toughest smells to get rid of but, does anyone have a solution?

I have:
replaced the cabin air filter and sprayed a little Lysol in the vent system (via the cabin filter compartment)
Vacuumed the entire car and wiped down all interior plastic.
Left 2 large bowls of Vinegar on the floor of both the driver and passenger side floor with the windows up for 48 hours.
and I leave the windows down mos tof the time as the car sits in my garage.
Next step is to shake baking soda all over the carpeted areas and leave it for a day or 2, and then vacuum it up.

Any proven advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-11-2009 | 06:10 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

There are several outfits around here (Central Fl) who advertise an ozone treatment for smoke smell. No first hand experience.
Good luck!
Old 09-12-2009 | 12:01 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've also heard ozone is a great way to remove all types of smells and it is commonly used in hotels. Not sure if the results are permanent or if the smell will come back.

Something else I've read online but I haven't verifieed is that ozone is not good for rubber parts. Maybe someone can verify or disprove this?
Old 09-12-2009 | 11:22 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

I remember reading a long thread on one of the detailing forums (probably Autopia) by "Grouse" (local master detailer) about using Ozone --- many hours of treatment (30 - 40 - more?) resulted in a partial success, something like 60% or 80% successful for the final result.

Not to discourage the OP, but it really seems to me that depending on the extent of the problem, that would be a steep uphill battle. Did the dealer advertise it as a "non-smoker" car?
Old 09-12-2009 | 03:10 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

I assume a good steam clean will help.
Old 09-13-2009 | 02:15 PM
andy928
Instructor

Good morning.

I had the same problem about a year and a half ago with a Jaguar XJR I bought from an Importer from Hong Kong, sight unseen.

Great car but stunk of smoke.

I tried everything as you have outlined after talking to car dealers and reading the web.

However a dealer told me about an Ultra Violet Quartz Light made in Australia. I did not think it would work and did not try it until I got to braking point…

It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure how but it did.

I borrowed one from the dealer.

I put it in the car over night with the windows up and in the morning I ranthe car for one hour with all the windows closed with the air con on with the recycle mode on.

I left the car outside in the sun all day in the heat with all the windows up and no smell, I sold it about a year later to get a newer one and never had the problem again.

I am not connected to this company in any way, and have called the dealer for you to get their contact details.

They are Australian Ultra Violet Services, their email is austuv@austuv.com.au .

The New Zealand supplier is okenny@xtra.co.nz that the dealer bought his one through.

I hope they will be able to help; they may even have a supplier in the States by now, as when I used it they were just getting started.

Andrew
Old 09-14-2009 | 12:33 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by andy928
Good morning.

I had the same problem about a year and a half ago with a Jaguar XJR I bought from an Importer from Hong Kong, sight unseen.

Great car but stunk of smoke.

I tried everything as you have outlined after talking to car dealers and reading the web.

However a dealer told me about an Ultra Violet Quartz Light made in Australia. I did not think it would work and did not try it until I got to braking point…

It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure how but it did.

I borrowed one from the dealer.

I put it in the car over night with the windows up and in the morning I ranthe car for one hour with all the windows closed with the air con on with the recycle mode on.

I left the car outside in the sun all day in the heat with all the windows up and no smell, I sold it about a year later to get a newer one and never had the problem again.

I am not connected to this company in any way, and have called the dealer for you to get their contact details.

They are Australian Ultra Violet Services, their email is austuv@austuv.com.au .

The New Zealand supplier is okenny@xtra.co.nz that the dealer bought his one through.

I hope they will be able to help; they may even have a supplier in the States by now, as when I used it they were just getting started.

Andrew
Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: Orginal owner was a smoker...help!