Notices

Engine Steam Cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:06 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Steam Cleaning?

I've got a very nice high pressure steamer that we use for various stuff around the house - mainly our hardwood floors. But I ran across this video on youtube and wondered if I could find an attachment like this so I could steam clean the engine?

Anyone ever do this? Have any linkage to any of these contraptions? I'm guessing this method has to be better than spraying cleaner in there and getting a hose out and washing it down?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfoWd...eature=related
Old 08-22-2009, 07:05 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Engine Compartment Steam Cleaning / Power Washing:

Most engines are rarely so encrusted with automotive residues and dirt that normal, low-pressure degreasing methods fail to provide proper, efficient cleaning. High-pressure engine water / steam cleaning are unnecessary and should be restricted to extreme cleaning jobs, such as commercial trucks, off-road vehicles, etc.

The engine compartment is designed to resist water ingress; it is not waterproof / watertight. Rain or water splashed up into the engine is at very low pressure, very different from a pressurised hose or steam
High-pressure steam cleaning can force solutions into the engine harness sheath and associated cables, causing unusual problems that would not have occurred otherwise. Once steam is applied to a cold metal surface it condenses and becomes water that may be in a place that it cannot be easily removed from.

Modern vehicle engine harness multi-plugs and related sealing measures are not designed for the discharge velocity and force of typical commercial steam cleaning units. Further, cleaning solutions with the high-pressure discharge can leave conductive and often corrosive residues deep within the harness and cables.

Most engines are rarely so encrusted with automotive residues and dirt that normal, low-pressure degreasing methods fail to provide proper, efficient cleaning. High-pressure engine water / steam cleaning are unnecessary and should be restricted to extreme cleaning jobs, such as commercial trucks, off-road vehicles, etc.

An extract from one of a series of 110 in-depth, unbiased “Detailing Technical Papers” © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.
These papers will enable direct access to five decades of detailing knowledge and experience
Old 08-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Cosmin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hm... few things wrong in that vid , high pressure steam hitting everything , electronics not covered , inclusive alternator

Quick Reply: Engine Steam Cleaning?