Notices

944 Turbo Cleaning tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009 | 01:56 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Default 944 Turbo Cleaning tips

I have a couple of questions. Can you put this car through a touchless car wash?

How do you clean your engine bay? products used, techniques? I posted in the 944 Turbo forum but i thought i would post here too. I assume you can't spray water in the engine (electronics) ?
Old 07-13-2009 | 10:06 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sebastian944
I have a couple of questions. Can you put this car through a touchless car wash?

How do you clean your engine bay? products used, techniques? I posted in the 944 Turbo forum but i thought i would post here too. I assume you can't spray water in the engine (electronics) ?

You can run any car through a touchless carwash BUT please understand that the soaps used are most likely high alkaline thus meaning they will either strip or degrade your wax/sealant finish. Your best bet is to use the high pressure rinse from the coin car wash and then the spotfree rinse then dry it with a microfiber towel. Again don't use the coin was soap because these soaps are mixed up to cut through dirt and grime which means they also cut through wax.

You can clean most engine areas with no problems but to be safe you can cover the electronics with plastic baggies. Keep in mind that Porsche engines are designed to get wet. In 20 years of detailing Porsche I have never had one ever.....ever... give me trouble because I got it wet in the cleaning process.

Anthony
Old 07-14-2009 | 02:14 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

I didn't know about the soap, i've been using coin car wash since i've owned it. Okay, I guess i'll get some of my own soap and just use their hose to rince it off. Good advice...
Old 07-14-2009 | 09:58 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

Use a suds gun with stardard auto soap and run a long bristle brush like the boars hair brush for sale by one of the sponsors of this forum around inside the engine compartment. If you have more serious grime build up, P21s has a good all purpose auto degreaser in a spray bottle.

Not sure about the 944, but most modern engines don't have exposed electrical contacts. I don't spray near the battery though (on my ML500 - the battery being at the other end of the car in the 911), and I don't overdue it on the rinse, just a medium misting and wiping with a damp mf towel.

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo Cleaning tips