Notices

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009 | 01:18 AM
RedRose
Racer

Default Need some help

Hello all, never visited the concours forum before, but today I've decided that I need some help with cleaning the car. I took it to the cheap self-serve spray car wash because it's been raining recently, and after I dried it, I noticed there were what looked like water marks all over the place that did not come off. Was very strange, took the car home, tried to get it off with some spray detailer (Ice), and that didn't help unless I put on some real pressure, and so I decided it wasn't the right way to get these marks off. Any ideas?

Are there any 'guides' to cleaning the car if it were to be done once a month, just for driving around town and lookin' nice? I could use some help. Typically, I hand wash the car, unless I won't have enough time to go slowly, in which case I use the same spray wash I used today. I've never had this problem before using that wash. I use Meguiar's Tech Paste 2.0 for wax when I hand wash, but other than that and detailer spray, I don't know what else to use. I did try the Mother's power ball, but it didn't seem to work well at all, even with the provided liquid wax.

I'm also noticing what seems like circles of (scratches??) something which seem to focus on whatever spot most of the light I'm seeing is reflecting off the surface, and even though the paint cleans up well most of the time, this doesn't look normal. What is it?

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Old 06-12-2009 | 07:54 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

If you can tell us what sort of 'water marks' you have, as surface marks are relativly easy compared to etched marks. Either way I'm sure we can help-

Water Spots
If you look at a highly- magnified cut-away of a base/clear-coat, water-based paint system it resembles a sponge. The resin system is what holds it together; part of the system has been corrosively eaten away that is why acid rain damage is seen as etching or pitting.

The misnomer ‘water spots’ are caused by a moderate to high alkaline or acidic solution, both of which can cause paint discolouration, surface etching (a concave circular mark and pitting) leaving microscopic surface imperfections and micro pores in the paint film surface that are vulnerable to deterioration, which need to be removed and naturalized as soon as possible.

There are two categories of water spot-

Stage One Corrosion [: defined as a surface with light to moderate corrosion damage to the paint surface]

Stage Two Corrosion [: definition when the dirt/corrosion deposits are no longer on the surface but have started to break down the molecular structure, leaving an etched or white haze on the surface( a concave circular mark ) after the stain has been removed, with moderate to serious paint damage]
Old 06-12-2009 | 09:32 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Acid rain may have caused your spots as noted by TOGWT.

Pictures would really help to determine what is needed for correction.
Old 06-12-2009 | 12:46 PM
RedRose
Racer

Well I think it definitely came from rain, could've been acidic, not sure. I'll get some pictures later today. Whatever it was was very light, as it came off with scrubbing with nothing really left behind. Sorta just looked like the generic dirt that comes from a rain shower, but it didn't come off in the wash.

Quick Reply: Need some help