Notices

Towel swirl marks

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:01 PM
at46
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towel swirl marks

Just need a suggestion on how to deal with this problem...Recently purchased a 2000 C4...cars paint look quite nice ...almost new...girlfriend thought she was doing a favor by wiping off the dust with a towel...now swirl marks...I need to know the easiest way to remove them...all help would be appreciated..thanks
Old 06-11-2009, 04:11 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

At46, you need two things mainly:

1) The Porter Cable 7124
2) A better girlfriend!
Old 06-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I think its cool that she tried to help. Just need to teach her a few of the finer points of cleaning a car.

As noted, at minimum a random orbital will probably be necessary to level the paint. You can also try Meguiars Scratch X by hand if you're patient and feel like a good workout.

Lots of good product options for polishes and polishing pads.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:08 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I think its cool that she tried to help. Just need to teach her a few of the finer points of cleaning a car.

As noted, at minimum a random orbital will probably be necessary to level the paint. You can also try Meguiars Scratch X by hand if you're patient and feel like a good workout.

Lots of good product options for polishes and polishing pads.
In my experience, ScratchX contains too many fillers. It may look nice for a short while, but after a few washes you'll be back to square one. Find a good polish (plenty of recommendations here) and apply to the affected areas by hand or orbital.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Detailed Image
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have mentioned, you're probably going to have to invest in a quality buffer, such as the Porter Cable 7424, Porter Cable 7424 XP or Flex XC 3401 VRG. It's nearly impossible to remove some or even close to all swirls via hand application, you simply don't have enough power or energy to properly break down the abrasive particles. I'd recommend reading over our polishing guide so that you get the most out of your swirl removal process and restore your paint to a like new condition.

If you have any questions along the way, let us know.

George
Old 06-27-2009, 07:17 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 734 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
As others have mentioned, you're probably going to have to invest in a quality buffer, such as the Porter Cable 7424, Porter Cable 7424 XP or Flex XC 3401 VRG. It's nearly impossible to remove some or even close to all swirls via hand application, you simply don't have enough power or energy to properly break down the abrasive particles. I'd recommend reading over our polishing guide so that you get the most out of your swirl removal process and restore your paint to a like new condition.

If you have any questions along the way, let us know.

George
Good advice...

Stay away from ScratchX...not really intended for polishing the whole car. Pick up a flex or a PC from one of the sponsors here along with some Menzerna polishes...then say goodbye to all the swirls

Quick Reply: Towel swirl marks