993 sunroof "gasket" care

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 993 sunroof "gasket" care

guys,

my 993 "gasket"...i'm not really sure what else to call it...is made of a felt-like material and has wax deposits/stains from previous owners. is there any way to clean this off? i was thinking about using my blue tape and lining it and using a fine point sharpie to go over it...thoughts?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Tape it off with blue tape and use a hard bristled boars hair brush to gently agitate it. Use the brush in conjunction with a quick detail spray for the cleaning. Use a tightly knitted microfiber to dry the gasket but dab or use short movements rather than wiping to prevent linting. When its dry use the blue tape to pick up any remaining loose wax and lint. When finished use a vinyl/rubber conditioner liberally. Remove the blue tape.

Be careful with future applications of wax and in general when wiping over the gasket.

I've heard others use a sharpie with sucess but I would be nervous about causing long term damage to the gasket.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 05-05-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The sun-roof gasket is made of a felt-like material, which can become stained with polish / wax debris. Use a soft rubber brush to loosen any debris, and then follow up with a 1:1 solution of isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and distilled water solution applied with a clean micro fibre towel to remove any remaining wax or polish debris

The soft rubber seals around doors, windows, sunroof’s, hood and trunk are constantly being flexed and compressed all the while being subjected to a hostile environment. Clean any wax/polish debris with 1z Plastik Reiniger (Deep Cleaner) applied with a clean micro fibre towel

Use a product that contains glycerine (Iz enzett Gummi Pflege or Zymol Seal) a natural plant anti-oxidizing agent, it will prolong the useful life of the seal by restoring the original moisture and resist tearing and sticking

Last edited by TOGWT; 05-07-2009 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply: 993 sunroof "gasket" care