Notices

how to keep your leather new

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I'm not too worried about how long it takes, I just want the best results and overall best product to keep the leather looking factory new as long as possible. Will results be the same or better with Leathermaster?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:44 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe any leather product to be a miracle product...LM does what it states and does it well, no product will remove cracks or scratches, unless of course you are doing repair work.

but the cleaners clean well, the conditioners do well and the protection cream protects : )
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 04-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

A couple of questions.....

Does LM leave a nice non sticky surface?

What does it smell like?

Do the conditioners soften the leather or improve its feel?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:49 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

no smell after it dries, matte finish
Old 04-22-2009, 04:49 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

yes the conditioners improve the feel.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phil@detailersdomain
yes the conditioners improve the feel.
Thanks Phil, this is what I was looking for. I will try to get an order placed in the next day or two.

Apologies for the inquisition, I just prefer to have some idea of what I'm buying due to past disappointment.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:51 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

not that it means anything but I have been using LM for 9 years now.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phil@detailersdomain
not that it means anything but I have been using LM for 9 years now.
Actually it does. It means that you have been maintaining leather for that period of time and you would know by now if the product doesn't provide long term leather care.

Just placed an order and I will provide some feedback when I have a chance to try it.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

got it thanks!
Old 04-23-2009, 09:13 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[ I want to pull the trigger on Leathermaster but I want to read a good comparison from someone who's used it and Leatherique. I've perused Detailing Bliss but haven't found a really good comparison. ]

Over the five decades I've been involved with detailing the materials and production methods that are used have changed; we need to adapt our product usage and application methodologies to change with them. I’ve used both products ; Leatherique on ‘natural’ (i.e. uncovered pigmented) leather upholstery. This type of top-grain premium leather is mostly used in prestige European automobiles; Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lotus, Lexus and Rolls Royce, US Cadillac and high-end German automobiles such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW . This is the market sector both Leatherequi and Connolly were originally formulated

Leather Master- on both types of upholstery, and in my opinion it is a better product and a less complicated application methodology. As stated in my earlier post -

[ In my opinion the chemistry behind the Leatherique system simply does not add up, whereas leather cleaning and protecting is a relatively quick and simple process (i.e. cleaning and hydration) it seems that this system takes a huge amount of effort.]

Last edited by TOGWT; 04-23-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TOGWT
[ I want to pull the trigger on Leathermaster but I want to read a good comparison from someone who's used it and Leatherique. I've perused Detailing Bliss but haven't found a really good comparison. ]

Over the five decades I've been involved with detailing the materials and production methods that are used have changed; we need to adapt our product usage and application methodologies to change with them. I’ve used both products ; Leatherique on ‘natural’ (i.e. uncovered pigmented) leather upholstery. This type of top-grain premium leather is mostly used in prestige European automobiles; Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lotus, Lexus and Rolls Royce, US Cadillac and high-end German automobiles such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW . This is the market sector both Leatherequi and Connolly were originally formulated

Leather Master- on both types of upholstery, and in my opinion it is a better product and a less complicated application methodology. As stated in my earlier post -

[ In my opinion the chemistry behind the Leatherique system simply does not add up, whereas leather cleaning and protecting is a relatively quick and simple process (i.e. cleaning and hydration) it seems that this system takes a huge amount of effort.]

This is helpful and appreciated. I guess my reasoning for my response about Leatherique is that it has worked successfully for me on both Mercedes and Porsche Leather. It works far better on the Porsche Leather (which IMHO isn't as good as Mercedes Leathe) and really does a good job with cleaning/conditioning. I don't love the light residue it leaves behind or the slightly shiny finish but this can be corrected with the use of another conditioner like Griots.

I'm hoping Leathermasters gives the same or better results without the need for a secondary application of Griots.

Like I said, I will report back with my findings and observations. I hope its as good as everyone says it is.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

I just put the Leatherique on my car. My front and rear seats sucked up the whole 16 oz of rejuvinator. It has softened the leather considerably and left the seats with a matte finish. They were a bit sticky after I cleaned them with the pristine clean, but now after a couple of days they are fine.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update

I picked up Leathermasters Strong Cleaner and Conditioner and I used it on my wife's Pilot last weekend. Her car is the family hauler and sees food/spills/mud and all sorts of other junk that kids drag into the car. Prior to this I was maintaining it with Griots Leather Conditioner which did well.

The Strong Cleaner is amazing when used in conjunction with a leather brush. The combination removed all of the embedded dirt and left a very clean surface which I hadn't seen for years. After brushing I used a damp microfiber to wipe the surface clean and I focused on one seat at a time.

After cleaning I went back and applied the Conditioner which was much different than anything I've ever used before. It didn't sit on the surface and it didn't make the surface shiny. The leather looked and felt completely natural when I finished and one week later and tons of abuse it still looks great. I'm not sure if the conditioner softens leather like Leatherique but it definitely is a better product for maintaining leather regularly.

I will be using it on the 928 soon and I will report back again with pictures.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:37 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

that's great news! I'm glad it worked well for you.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Gary Knox
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 211 Posts

Afshin et al,
I have used both Leatherique and the ColorPlus items for both leather treatment and for re-dying (actually, re-painting of course) several sets of 928 and Mercedes seats. I found Leatherique dye to be poorer than the ColorPlus dye, and I find the ColorPlus "Soffener" to be equal or better than the Leatherique two component system. It's also less expensive.
After doing business with her for about 6-7 years, I finally met Joanne of ColorPlus at Hershey in April. Nice lady, and has always been a most gracious and interested help in my dyeing ventures. (Total of six 928's over the past 10 years, plus two MB's and an Alfa Spider Veloce).

Gary Knox
West Chester, PA

Quick Reply: how to keep your leather new