Notices

Magnetic Numbers, Water marks, how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:49 AM
WMRiceman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnetic Numbers, Water marks, how to remove?

I have track numbers on a oval magnetic sheet. While at the track, the car got rained on with the numbers attached. When I got home, I noticed a discoloration where the magnetic sheet was.

I have tried waxing, buffing, rubbing compound (lightly) and even scratch remover. Nothing will remove this stain. Looking straight at the car it is not noticeable but at an angle with the sun on it, it's very apparent. I thought time and the hot Florida sun would bake it out but no luck. The car has had these marks now for over 8 months. Any ideas what to do short of taking it to a paint shop? Thanks
Old 11-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WMRiceman
I have track numbers on a oval magnetic sheet. While at the track, the car got rained on with the numbers attached. When I got home, I noticed a discoloration where the magnetic sheet was.

I have tried waxing, buffing, rubbing compound (lightly) and even scratch remover. Nothing will remove this stain. Looking straight at the car it is not noticeable but at an angle with the sun on it, it's very apparent. I thought time and the hot Florida sun would bake it out but no luck. The car has had these marks now for over 8 months. Any ideas what to do short of taking it to a paint shop? Thanks

Well my first recommendation was to let it sit in the sun but as I continued to read your post it's apparent that that bit of advice won't do you much good

If it's been 8 months already and nothing has changed then I am guessing there is some permanent damage here. If you came to me with this issue personally and telling me the story I would perhaps suggest wet sanding the area but honestly I don't think that would be a 100% remedy as I believe their is now a discoloration of the base coat.

Do you know if the paint is single stage or base coat/clear coat? If clear then you'll have a much more difficult time of repair while there may be hope with wet sanding if single stage.

Good luck,
Anthony
Old 11-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anthony, I have this same issue on my 2000 Volvo (thankfully not the P-car), from a small magnetic sticker. This is on a clear-coated dark green. I started with some Menzerna, which produced slight improvement. I then went to a tube of just a generic Mequiar's "rubbing compound", working it and checking with my paint meter. I'd say the shadow is about 30% of what it was originally at this point, with no discernible reduction in thickness. I don't really trust myself to wet sand. Can you recommend a little more aggressive compound to use by hand or with my PC, or should I just take it to someone competent with a rotary to see what they can do?
Old 11-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Finding a pro is always best but the keyword is, as you stated, "competent".

If you want to try this yourself once more then I would recommend finding some Meguiars 105. You may need to track down a Meguiars distributor as it's hard to find in the stores or body shop supply places.

If you have a PC and a mile or medium polishing pad then you should get very nice results. Although the 105 was intended for rotary use it can be used with a PC (orbital) but you must work the product a little longer so it breaks down correctly. Orange pad and 105 might be needed if the polishing pad doesn't work but in my eyes the orange pad and 105 applied with the PC seems to be on the aggressive side so go with the least abrasive first.

Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll try and help.

Anthony
Old 11-26-2008, 10:19 PM
WMRiceman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well I think I finally removed the marks. I used Meguiars scratch remover along with my orbital polisher. It took three applications. I worked in the scratch remover by hand and then used the orbital buffers application pad to work it in. I then let it dry and buffed it off with a soft towel. Thank you all for the advice.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
Finding a pro is always best but the keyword is, as you stated, "competent".

If you want to try this yourself once more then I would recommend finding some Meguiars 105. You may need to track down a Meguiars distributor as it's hard to find in the stores or body shop supply places.

If you have a PC and a mile or medium polishing pad then you should get very nice results. Although the 105 was intended for rotary use it can be used with a PC (orbital) but you must work the product a little longer so it breaks down correctly. Orange pad and 105 might be needed if the polishing pad doesn't work but in my eyes the orange pad and 105 applied with the PC seems to be on the aggressive side so go with the least abrasive first.

Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll try and help.

Anthony
Thanks Anthony, I'll give it a whirl. Resources such as yourself make this a great place.

As I stated in a thread on this subject in the 964 forum, warnings about these mag signs, stickers and bras should be shouted from the rooftops. There is a pic somewhere on this forum of a silver Porsche with the mag bra removed, and the paint in that area is clouded and basically ruined. There is just not a general awareness that these things can easily do a lot of permanent damage.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Numbers, Water marks, how to remove?