Notices

Detailing question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:15 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Detailing question

I have a pristine black 1973 911 S Targa that needs some serious paint detail work. I don't have anyone local that I can trust to detail car. Is this something I can trust myself to do. If there is any risk I would screw up paint on car I don't want to take that chance. I have done a quick search looks like there is a lot to consider.
Thanks,
Phil
Old 11-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Phil,

Polishing a car is not difficult however there are several things you should do before you start. First and probably most important is to bring the car to a body shop and ask them to measure the paint thickness on different parts of the body to confirm how much remains and how much you can work with (if any). If it's original paint it's probably a single stage.

If you have enough paint then take some pictures of the car up close with proper light so that we can get a handle on the type of correction needed.

Minor paint correction including light scratches, hollograms, swirls etc can be removed with a random orbital polisher like a Porter Cable 7424. Many companies offer good poishes and the recommendations will depend upon the existing condition of the paint. Major correction like acid rain or deeper scratches should be left to the pros.

I think that is a safe starting point. I can offer more tips after you have done the above.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:07 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

The car has been painted recently, and work is very nice. Paint has a lot of fine scratches when very under fluorscent lights in garage. I had car out at night under fluorscent light and there were halo's, swirling, spider webs, all sorts of crap in paint that I had never noticed before, freaked me out. After searching forum I see these are comman problems that are repairable. I'll post some pics of car, I appreciate the help.
Phil
Old 11-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Lynn Phillips
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures would be great but from what you are describing it looks like it will be an easy buff out. Learning to use a dual action polisher is pretty easy and it is very difficult to do any damage, even for the inexperienced.

Before doing the whole car, I always recommend doing a test spot on the worst area of the car. Always start with the least aggressive product first and see if it is doing what you want it to do. If not, step up to a more aggressive product and pad.

When you are finished with the test spot, and you are happy with the results, do the entire car! If not, it is time to go back to step one and re-evaluate your expectations and variables that come into play. You also need to determine if there’s something you can change that will help you meet your expectations. Maybe an extra step or a simple change in your process can take you from, "it looks okay", to "Wow, that looks great!" It takes a little more time but think of it as a little insurance on your personal satisfaction.

Some of the key points when learning to use a polisher is that you will need to apply some pressure when removing defects, move slowly while overlapping each pass, keep the pad level and to keep cord over you shoulder to avoid contact with your paint. Also, only work about a 2 ft. by 2 ft. area at a time so you can concentrate on your work. Good lighting is also very important and it wouldn't hurt to check your work along the way in different lighting like sunlight.

We offer a bunch of polisher kits to offer but the one I recommend and is the most popular is the Ultima Clean, Protect & Preserve Paint with Dual Action Polisher Kit. It comes with everything you need to wash, clean, polish, protect and maintain your car. The kit also comes with step by step instructions. For more severe defects you may need to add to the kit but for normal swirl the kit has everything you need.

If you need further assistance with products or technique, please don't hesitate to ask. I spend a lot of time on the phone guiding new polisher users through the process to achieve great results.

Lynn
Old 11-20-2008, 10:05 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Thanks, I figured I'd practice on my wife' car first. I need to find what paint is on my Porsche, I don't know how much difference that makes. I have a an S6 I want to detail as well, should keep me busy through the MT winter!
Phil
Old 11-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Thanks, I figured I'd practice on my wife' car first. I need to find what paint is on my Porsche, I don't know how much difference that makes. I have a an S6 I want to detail as well, should keep me busy through the MT winter!
Phil
As long as you have a heated garage!

The type of paint on the car doesn't really matter although it will be important to determine how quickly you can remove it. Paint hardness will vary from one brand to another so start with a fresh perspective with each of your cars.

As Lynn mentioned, starting with the least abrasive polish and moving up is a great approach and a safe one. If you need more strength you can always use the less abrasive polishes to remove hazing often caused by the more abrasive polishes.

Still waiting on those pics.

Quick Reply: Detailing question