Notices

Sunroof felt trim picks up lint.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:34 PM
John52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof felt trim picks up lint.

I have a black 997 and I find the felt trim around the sunroof is a real magnet for lint. I use micro fiber towels to dry it after washing but it seems just about any kind of soft cloth gets "grabbed" by the felt I know I could mask it off when waxing but seems like overkill for a simple wash job.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

John,

May I suggest a lint brush to remove the towel lint on the felt trim.

A
Old 08-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Blue Painters Masking Tape
Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 AM
turboGary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a lint brush as well, the type you use on your pants just before you go out for an evening. Just go over it lightly so you don't push it to rub the paint. It works great. The lint brush I have is curved anyway so it just rests on the felt.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Jmakado
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Blue Painters Masking Tape
That seems excessive for him to mask off the felt every time the car gets washed.

To the OP: What about changing your drying media? I really like the Absorber. As long as it's clean it won't mar paint. If you are partial to a microfiber towel I would try a waffle weave style. The Meguiar's Water Magnet is good. Most companies make a WW drying towel if you are not into Meg's. WW's tend to not have as much lint as others. I also like the idea of using a lint roller but I am one of those people who tries to have less products to get the job done, not more. But I do like the idea!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jmakado
That seems excessive for him to mask off the felt every time the car gets washed.

To the OP: What about changing your drying media? I really like the Absorber. As long as it's clean it won't mar paint. If you are partial to a microfiber towel I would try a waffle weave style. The Meguiar's Water Magnet is good. Most companies make a WW drying towel if you are not into Meg's. WW's tend to not have as much lint as others. I also like the idea of using a lint roller but I am one of those people who tries to have less products to get the job done, not more. But I do like the idea!
I was debating if I should have elaborated more. Not saying to mask off the area as that would be excessive for regular wipe downs. I'm merely suggesting using the sticky side of blue painters tape to remove the lint like you would a sticky lint roller. The reason I suggested the blue tape is that I know it won't harm the paint due to too much adhesion and the adhesive is compatable with paint for short term use.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

As marine noted, use the sticky side of tape such as painters tape or masking tape.

Personally I would avoid real and also synthetic chamois as they can inhibit dirt which may not always be removed with washing.

If you look closely at a chamois as it is drying you'll notice that when wet it makes full contact with your paint, almost like it's being sucked down onto the paint. This can be bad if some grit is on the chamois or paint as it has no where to go, unlike a terry towel or microfiber towel where the grit can be sucked up into the deep pile.

The ideal choice for drying is an electric leaf blower, then use a mf towel to blot up the excess.

Anthony
Old 08-12-2008, 04:21 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
As marine noted, use the sticky side of tape such as painters tape or masking tape.

Personally I would avoid real and also synthetic chamois as they can inhibit dirt which may not always be removed with washing.

If you look closely at a chamois as it is drying you'll notice that when wet it makes full contact with your paint, almost like it's being sucked down onto the paint. This can be bad if some grit is on the chamois or paint as it has no where to go, unlike a terry towel or microfiber towel where the grit can be sucked up into the deep pile.

The ideal choice for drying is an electric leaf blower, then use a mf towel to blot up the excess.

Anthony
+1

Hey bro gonna need you to give the car a spruce up within the week or so. Let me know when you might have time.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Jmakado
Intermediate

I've never experienced any marring with a synthetic chamois. I am VERY careful about keeping them clean though. I like the lint roller idea the most but using tape is an interesting one also!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:00 AM
San Antonio Mobile Car Wash
Track Day

Same here, I've been using the Absorber for years on all my clients cars and don't get marring or scratches of any kind.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:20 PM
detailjohn
Former Vendor

If it's available to you, use compressed air to blow it out. It works beautifully. I do this every day on Porsches.

John
Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is how I do this.......

Step 1. Use blue painters tape, press firmly onto felt and peel back. Repeat again to remove the majority of lint.

Step 2. Spray a small amount of quick detail spray on felt trim. Using a soft brush (I use boars hair brushes) gently scrub the surface of the trim. Try to avoid contact with the paint to prevent scratching.

Step 3. Wipe area with a lint free cloth. I used an eye glass lense cloth, just watch for frayed edges.

Repeat step 1 and your done.

Here are some pics of the before/after

Pic 1: Before
Pic 2: Before
Pic 3: During Tape
Pic 4: After Tape
Pic 5: After Cleaning with Brush and repeating tape
Pic 6: Same as 5 only closer

Hope this helps.
Attached Images       

Quick Reply: Sunroof felt trim picks up lint.