Notices

Rotor rust and the clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rotor rust and the clear bra

I have a weird issue with my 997 Carrera S that I need help resolving.

I have the standard "big red" brakes on my Carrera S.

And I develop rust on the rotors every time I wash the car. I normally take the car around the block a few times after washing/drying to release all the rust. I then wipe the wheels down again and then go over the car with Meguiars QD and Plexus (for the clear bra).

I'm 99.9% sure that the centrifigul force of me driving is "throwing" some of the rust off of my rotors and onto the side of my Porsche. Mostly along the inside of the wheel wells but also where the rear wheel arches flare (the spot where the factory clear bra is located).

It's no problem with the paint as the Meguiars QD is taking it right off.

But try as I might, I can't seem to really get this crap off of the clear bra. I've tried Plexus. I've tried bug and tar remover. I've tried a Meguiars Citrus based cleaner. I've even tried claying and using a light polish. Nothing is taking this crap out of the clear bra.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Is the clear bra yellowing or do you actually see tiny specks of orange in it?

You may want to try to contact the manufacturer of the bra to determine what materials can be safely used to clean embedded dirt etc. My first thought is taking diluted white vinegar to remove the rust but I would check for compatability with the manufacturer.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Is the clear bra yellowing or do you actually see tiny specks of orange in it?

You may want to try to contact the manufacturer of the bra to determine what materials can be safely used to clean embedded dirt etc. My first thought is taking diluted white vinegar to remove the rust but I would check for compatability with the manufacturer.
It's not yellowing. It's actually specks of red/orange.

I'm going to try and take the car by the installer of the clear bra this week and get his take.

However, the specks are occurring on both the factory clear bra (in front of the rear wheels) and the aftermarket clear bra (in the wheel well around the front wheels and behind the rear wheels).
Old 08-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

I'm planning on taking the car by the clear bra installer tomorrow at lunch to get his input.

Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas? All input is warmly received.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on the heat of the specks being thrown off, I wonder if it's burning it's way into the clear bra. I've never had an issue with the rust from the rotors imbedding itself into the clearbra, and I've never done anything special about the rust aft I wash/clean. Are you hitting the rotors with the hose to get the holes cleaned out?

Steve
Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stephenwz968
Depending on the heat of the specks being thrown off, I wonder if it's burning it's way into the clear bra. I've never had an issue with the rust from the rotors imbedding itself into the clearbra, and I've never done anything special about the rust aft I wash/clean. Are you hitting the rotors with the hose to get the holes cleaned out?

Steve
Yep.

Sonus is sprayed on to cool wheels and I let is sit for a few minutes. I use the brush to agitate the dirt off and then hit it with the high pressure nozzle. I then go back over the wheels with a MF mitt and soap and water.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Jmakado
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For future reference. I get rust off the rotors by simply riding the brake pedal a little in the driveway after I'm done drying the car. If it is an issue of rust being thrown onto the clear bra then lower speeds I.E. under 5mph should prevent it in the future.....I'm sure you have thought of this but thought I would put it out there anyway.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jmakado
For future reference. I get rust off the rotors by simply riding the brake pedal a little in the driveway after I'm done drying the car. If it is an issue of rust being thrown onto the clear bra then lower speeds I.E. under 5mph should prevent it in the future.....I'm sure you have thought of this but thought I would put it out there anyway.
Great suggestion that I can easily put into practice by driving in my neighborhood vs. going out onto non-residential streets.

Thanks.

PS - I see you're in DP too. We've been here going on 4 years now and just love it.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Is it possible that your getting metal shavings from the rotors which are rusting after the fact? If driving around in the neighborhood doesn't help that is a possibility.

Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I blow dry my rotors (and entire car) with the leaf blower. No more rust on the rotors. Great way to keep the front radiators clean too (dry first, then after washing). Make sure your driveway is clean before you start the wash process.

Then I hit the remaing few wet spots on the car with a high quality drying towel.

After I park in the garage, I quickly wipe off the wheels one more time with a damp cloth.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

So I've been to the clear bra installer and talked with two very good local detailers.

Fortunately, it doest not appear to be related to the rotors.

Unfortunately, we think it's "residue" from cheap/crappy tire dressing that was applied by the car wash place here at my work the few times that I've tried to cut corners and have the car washed while I'm at work.

I'm going to start another thread about this but neither the clear bra installer nor the two detailers I talked to had any ideas... anyone have any thoughts how to get that crap out of/off of the clear bra?

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Jmakado
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you said you already tried clay I would move on to a chemical cleaner. Start with the most mild (Car wash solution) and work your way up. Use a soft terry cloth or microfiber towel to apply the product. Meguiar's #39 or Body Solvent come to mind. Rather than spaying directly onto the surface I would spray onto the towel itself. I doubt either of those would effect the adhesion of the mask but I would avoid getting it near the edges of the mask just in case. Hence spraying on the towel instead of directly on the car. If you don't have access to those send me a PM and I can send you some small samples to try if you'd like. I would just drop them by but I'm back in Colorado now.

Again, I would try a mild car wash mixture and some agitation with a towel first.

EDIT: Another product to try that you can find locally is Meguiar's PlatiX. Honestly I would try that first since it's cheap, easy to find, and also works well on any other clear plastic you have on the car. Head/taillights, gauge cluster cover, etc.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jmakado
Since you said you already tried clay I would move on to a chemical cleaner. Start with the most mild (Car wash solution) and work your way up. Use a soft terry cloth or microfiber towel to apply the product. Meguiar's #39 or Body Solvent come to mind. Rather than spaying directly onto the surface I would spray onto the towel itself. I doubt either of those would effect the adhesion of the mask but I would avoid getting it near the edges of the mask just in case. Hence spraying on the towel instead of directly on the car. If you don't have access to those send me a PM and I can send you some small samples to try if you'd like. I would just drop them by but I'm back in Colorado now.

Again, I would try a mild car wash mixture and some agitation with a towel first.

EDIT: Another product to try that you can find locally is Meguiar's PlatiX. Honestly I would try that first since it's cheap, easy to find, and also works well on any other clear plastic you have on the car. Head/taillights, gauge cluster cover, etc.
Thanks. I'll try and find the PlatiX product first.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:20 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wurth citrus degreaser.

Quick Reply: Rotor rust and the clear bra