Notices

Convertible Top Care Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Convertible Top Care Question

Since I own a 996, I'm going to ask your advice. I'm taking delivery of a new Audi TT roadster (fabric top) in a couple of months. I have tried to locate the OXO fingertip wash brush that many have recommended, but it's out of stock at all detailers I've checked, and when I called OXO directly, it's discontinued. What other high quality cleaning brushes are others using for their Porsche tops that will get stains out but not damage the fabric of a good quality convertible top? I've attached a link to a site that used to carry the product so you can see exactly what I'm referring to. Any input here is appreciated!! Thanks.

http://www.bikedepot.net/fewabr.html
Old 03-11-2008, 04:54 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like all OXO Good Grips products, the brush has an 8 ½” soft, contoured non-slip handle (even when wet) that fits snugly in your palm, making the task of car washing a little nicer. The extra long soft, feathered bristles are safe for all finishes. They supply gentle scrubbing muscle for a thorough job - http://www.autogeek.net/featwasbrus.html
Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Like all OXO Good Grips products, the brush has an 8 ½” soft, contoured non-slip handle (even when wet) that fits snugly in your palm, making the task of car washing a little nicer. The extra long soft, feathered bristles are safe for all finishes. They supply gentle scrubbing muscle for a thorough job - http://www.autogeek.net/featwasbrus.html
Agree, but if you read my post, you'll see that the brush is no longer available from dealers and OXO has discontinued manufacturing it. I want to know a good alternative.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The need for a brush to clean your fabric top shouldn't really be needed since you have it as new.

As long as you keep up on it a damp microfiber should be all you need to go over the top. Bird poo and such should be no problem as long as you get to in good time, not 2 or 3 days later.

I care for several fabric tops and all I do is vacuum them weekly and treat any dirt stains with Folex and a damp microfiber.

You'll also want to get your top wet every so often but really no need to wash it with soap, just rinse it off to remove dirt and debris. Being new you should have a nice protectant on the top which should make the water bead really nice, just like a freshly waxed car. If it doesn't bead then you'll want to get some on there ASAP. Re-apply the protectant every 6 months...or when you notice the water no longer beads on the fabric.

Anthony
Old 03-11-2008, 11:31 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil,

i agree with anthony, if you have the car from new all you have to do is wash it and make sure you upkeep it. However if you do need that brush you can use this Boar's Hair Brush we carry.
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 03-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Thanks all for your advice! Can't wait for the summer.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:27 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if any of the OXO brushes would work though... I've seen other ones at the local Linens and Things. So the question will be if the bristles are the same.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Would a horse hair brush be softer and less likely to damage the fabric? Or am I just being a little OCD here?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A brush is fine, the one Phil sells and linked to will work just fine. Basically your top will become dirty mainly from.....well dirt! You'll have a few bird bombs here and there but again those can be taken care of with a damp microfiber towel and then use the brush in conjunction with your vacuum cleaner to keep the top clean.

If your brush is too soft then it does no good but yet if too stiff (hard nylon bristles) it may damage the top. So you'll need a medium stiff brush and be careful when vacuuming. If possible look for a vacuum brush attachment....best of both worlds

Anthony
Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Horse Hair Leather & Interior Brush - http://www.griotsgarage.com

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Care Question