Notices

What is best to use to protect / shine tires

Old 02-16-2008, 12:15 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What is best to use to protect / shine tires

After washing? Curently using armor all, but someone informed me that supposedly that stuff "destroys" rubber Not exactly sure what that means, since the product is made specifically for rubber / tires...does this mean there is a possiblility it could eat away the rubber such that I get a blowout?

Anyway, looking for recommendations Thanks
Old 02-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Cope
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use 303 on my tires because its safe, I like a matte look, and I always have a good supply of it around since I use it on my interior regularly. As far as tire dressings that damage your tires, maybe this link can help you:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...res-paint.html
Old 02-16-2008, 03:13 PM
detailjohn
Former Vendor

It's best for your tires to use a water based product. If you use a solvent based product, then it will dry out rubber and make it crack. Simply smell the product and you can tell if there are solvents in it. The problem with using a water based product, is that water, is it's natural solvent, so if you drive in the rain, it will most likely wear off quickly. There is no possibility of a tire dressing causing a blowout, especially on a p-car as the tires wear at an astonishing rate. Matrix Micro Coatings does offer a superior tire dressing that bonds to the rubber and will last for about 6 months to a year, even in the rainiest of conditions.

John
Old 02-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The current formula of armor all is suppose to be ok but there are definitely better protectants out there. I personally like Griots Vinyl/Rubber, it's not too shiny, not solvent based and does a nice job. If your car sees rain regularly I would also suggest washing the tires when you wash the car. Use a seperate sponge when you wash the tires, don't want that gunk on your sponge and all over your paint.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

There are good silicones and bad silicones and both are used in dressings. Usually the dressings which are some shade of blue in color and feel rather slimy contain the harmful silicones (dimethal silicone if I remember correctly) while white colored dressings are usually water based.

Again, hoping I'm remembering correctly, hydro carbons cause materials in the tires to migrate out which cause tire sling and this is what may lead to premature aging of tires in the form of cracked or weakened sidewalls. The tires UV protection is in a nut shell being leached out by the use of dimethal based tire dressings.

So look for water based tire dressings.

Anthony
Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct - DMS Silicone is the one to avoid

A tyre cleaner needs to be strong enough to tackle a heavy build-up of tire dressings and road grime, but not damage wheel coatings. It should strip the tyres down to the original rubber surface, this is especially important when you apply a new dressing, as dressings won't adhere to, or create the right shine on dirty rubber.

This tyre cleaner is a strong concentrate; spray-and-rinse tires, without scrubbing, if you are starting on an old, neglected surface, use a fairly stiff tyre brush for the first application and a spray & rinse at least 3-4 times a year - HiTemp Tire Cleaner - http://www.topoftheline.com

Good Silicone / Not so good Silicone:
That a product contains hydrocarbon (petroleum) distillates does not necessarily make that product harmful but it does depend upon which petroleum distillate is used and whither it has been further distilled (purified)

a) Water - based silicone dressings - usually a milky-white liquid, (Polydimethylsiloxane (PDS) that doesn’t contain petroleum distillate; silicone oils, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and/or vinyl over time. Water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Some of these products also contain ultra violet radiation (UVR) blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are environmentally friendly / biodegradable, whereas solvent-based silicone is not.

b) Solvent-based silicone dressings - usually a clear greasy liquid, (Dimethal (DMS) that contain petroleum solvents as a cleaning agent, they remove the elasticity from vinyl, rubber and paint; causing them to evaporate out of the substrate, leaving behind a dry inflexible surface. Most high gloss products are based upon DMS silicone oil, the difference between water and solvent based is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon silicone to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind; solvent-based silicone is not
Old 02-19-2008, 09:58 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

+1 for 303, though I've recently tried Surf City tire dressing and like it too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is best to use to protect / shine tires