Best way to remove odors from stored car

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:04 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Best way to remove odors from stored car

I have a 951 project that has been stored for over 4 years with the windows up. The interior has a serious oily/machinery smell that was never in the car before it was stored. I don't think it's not from anything spilled, the car is very clean, but just the odor from never having ventilation. I have the engine/harness out so I can't open the windows yet. Any suggestions of a product I can put in there now to start the odor removal process until I get the car finished next spring? I've tried open baking soda boxes, no dice.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:05 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting rid of odors is very tedious in that unless you know where or what causes the odor, you're never going to get rid of it, especially with things such as baking soda or sprays like Fabreeze.

So your first task is to find the odor source, which in this case, given the time in storage, might be rotting materials or some engine fluid leakage into the interior.

Best method is to remove the seats and carpet kit and clean the floor board. Take the carpets and have them pressure washed or replaced if needed. Inspect the seats for rot and mildew and then clean or replace if needed. You'll basically need to clean every square inch of the interior but first try and find the source.

Anthony
Old 12-08-2007, 11:07 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Smells and Odours:
You cannot eliminate odours by shampooing the interior, and/or spraying a deodorizer. Many odours are caused by micro-organisms such as bacteria, mould, and mildew. Shampooing does not eradicate odours; it spreads them over a much wider area. You eliminate odour-causing organisms with very specialized chemicals.

Technically, an odour is an invisible gas, so it can permeate any material or crevice. Look for stains. If there are no stains, narrow the playing field. The process of elimination is very effective when searching for the source of an odour; floor or seats, mats or carpet? If the vehicle has velour upholstery, a spill can penetrate on contact. If it is vinyl or leather, it will run to the deepest seam.

The most important aspect of removing (as opposed to using a product that will cover it, only for the odour to return later on) or at the very least mitigating an offensive door is that you must find and remove its origin. If you thoroughly clean the interior and it still smells you have not removed the material which is generating the smell. You can use an ozone machine, steam / extractor, scrub, and vacuum etc but if you do not remove the origin the smell will remain. Always check the following; cabin air filter, ac condensate pan and drain pipe

You will, however, need more specialized tools for odours deep in carpet and upholstery padding, ventilation systems, and other inaccessible areas. A hypodermic syringe is used to inject biocides into carpet and seat padding. Ultra Violet lighting is used to detect the presence and location of urine stains.

If the interior has a lingering odour from take-out food, spilled milk or wet pets, use a product that chemically alters the proteins that odour-causing microbes feed on (Lysol Neutra Air®) or Clean Air Genie Fogging Air Freshener - http://www.autogeek.net/clairgefoair.html) that is non-toxic, non-allergenic, fast acting without a cover up scent or an offensive perfume smell.

For the removal of smoke, pet odours, virtually any organically caused odours (including mould) in carpet, seats, headliners, upholstery and heating and air conditioning ducts, spray a fine mist over the entire vehicle interior beginning with the headliner and finishing on the carpeting. Odour Terminator is a contact product and must be sprayed on the source of the odour. Be sure to spray under the seats. A/C system ducts- spray into all vents, turn on the fan blower and spray into all intakes.

Extractor Units: add 4 ounces Odour terminator to each gallon of extractor solution. Clean interior glass after use to prevent spotting. Replace cabin air filter after odour removal.

Product specific- Microban is used in surgical suites as an antiseptic cleaner; wear a mask if you spray. It kills germs, mildew etc. Microban - http://www.unsmoke.com/water-mircobanplus.htm
Old 12-08-2007, 11:50 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks for the great technical replies. Hopefully it doesn't require a full interior removal. I know that there is nothing spilled or leaked someplace because the car was fine before storage as I bought it back in 2003 until a rod bearing failed. I would venture to guess it's more odors from out gassing of any vinyls and electronics that was trapped without ventilation for way too long. The extractor unit sounds interesting. There was a slight leak of brake fluid years ago from the clutch master that I thought I cleaned up well but maybe not. We have a steam carpet cleaner that I might try also. Thanks for the great ideas, I'll let you know how it all comes out.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:14 AM
detailjohn
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you shampoo with an enzyme, it should help to kill the mold. An O-Zone machine should get rid of the odor.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

You should be able to rent an ozone machine. Make some phone calls to the local rental companies. Not the home depot kind.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Best way to remove odors from stored car