Notices

How to clean Fuchs wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 PM
enzofan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean Fuchs wheels

The fuchs (black) wheels on my newly purchased 1988 911 cab look a little dull. Is there any trick to cleaning and/or any specific product that I should use to brighten the black finish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enzofan
The fuchs (black) wheels on my newly purchased 1988 911 cab look a little dull. Is there any trick to cleaning and/or any specific product that I should use to brighten the black finish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The black areas usually had a semi-glossy look to them as the paint they used was not of a high gloss. Some guys strip the wheels down and then have them painted and cleared which gives them a high gloss but normally the wheels would not be all that glossy.

I care for a late 80's 911 with these type wheels and they are now dull and fading somewhat so I now spray them with an aerosol dressing which shines them up really nice. I clean then using soap and water and only use a degreaser when really dirty. Dry them well and then mist them with the dressing, allow it to dry for a while and then buff out any runs with a clean microfiber. If needed I'll do this twice.

You can look for several aerosol dressings from DuraGloss and Stoners. Look at Pepboys, Napa or Car Quest.

Anthony
Old 11-01-2007, 04:02 AM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

To make the Fuchs look bright, the owner's book penses petroleum jelly.

When they're clean and dry, you put a coat of petroleum jelly, let it cure and wipe off the excedent.

Cheap and efficient...
Old 11-03-2007, 05:39 PM
enzofan
3rd Gear

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. Regards, Jon

Quick Reply: How to clean Fuchs wheels