Notices

Engine detailing - Engine brite, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:23 AM
donoman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine detailing - Engine brite, etc?

What do you use? What do you cover? What do you spray down?
I have thought about buying a steamer but for something I'll do once every 5 years it doesn't seem worth it.....
Old 09-11-2007, 10:22 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 756 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by donoman
What do you use? What do you cover? What do you spray down?
I have thought about buying a steamer but for something I'll do once every 5 years it doesn't seem worth it.....
The engine compartment is actually safer to clean than you think on most p-cars. I first start by warming up the engine. Then spray it down to dissolve most of the dirt and grimme. Use a normal house line with a sprayer. DO NOT USE PRESSURE WASHER!!! This forces water into the connections of all electric componenets. I then use either Zymol Wheel Cleaner or Zymol Strik depending on the substance I'm trying to remove. I use Zymol because it's safe, natural, and it's powerful enough to get everything off. Use a soft bristle brush to aggitate everything. Then rinse and see the newly cleaned engine bay. If you use deionized water, you simple let it air dry. Otherwise, grab some microfiber towels and start spot drying. Once dry, use a conditioner like einszett Teifenpfleger to bring out the sheen in the plastic components. You don't want to use a heavy oily conditioner as it will collect the road grimme fast and your engine bay will be greasy. Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:43 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
The engine compartment is actually safer to clean than you think on most p-cars. I first start by warming up the engine. Then spray it down to dissolve most of the dirt and grimme. Use a normal house line with a sprayer. DO NOT USE PRESSURE WASHER!!! This forces water into the connections of all electric componenets. I then use either Zymol Wheel Cleaner or Zymol Strik depending on the substance I'm trying to remove. I use Zymol because it's safe, natural, and it's powerful enough to get everything off. Use a soft bristle brush to aggitate everything. Then rinse and see the newly cleaned engine bay. If you use deionized water, you simple let it air dry. Otherwise, grab some microfiber towels and start spot drying. Once dry, use a conditioner like einszett Teifenpfleger to bring out the sheen in the plastic components. You don't want to use a heavy oily conditioner as it will collect the road grimme fast and your engine bay will be greasy. Hope this helps.
You literally hose down the engine bay of a 997?? Brave man!! I want to try it, but I have very hard water and not nervy enough to go to the local hand car wash in case it doesn't start after......
Old 09-11-2007, 01:40 PM
donoman
Racer

Thanks for the info. And 1Gunner your car looks awesome in your avatar.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Jmakado
Intermediate

I like Meg's Safe D-Greaser for engine bays. I use a similar technique as MoeMystery. Warm the engine, not hot, spray down using low pressure, spray on the D-Greaser, aggitate with a soft brush, and rinse. I use terry towels for the wipedown though. Then I spray a healthy dose of Meg's Hyper Dressing and close the hood. After I have finished washing the rest of the car I pop the hood and wipe down the left over dressing that hasn't absorbed. Done! It's really a pretty quick and easy ordeal.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:04 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stick by P21S Auto wash and I agree the engines on the newer 911's are safe to clean.

These are the products I use:
1. P21S Autowash:
2. Boar's Hair Brushes
3. Adam's In and Out (use this dressing for the hard to reach spots)
4. Adam's VRT (use this dressing for the easier to reach areas)
5. Detail Sponges (use this to wipe on or wipe off the excess dressing)

Before and afters:
997 C2S before:

997 C2S after:

Range Rover Sport HSE before:

Range Rover Sporte HSE after:

MB E500 before:

MB E500 after:

Here is a video:
http://detailersdomain.com/index.asp...on=Custom&ID=7
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 09-12-2007, 05:32 PM
donoman
Racer

Yeah that looks really good. I need to buy those chemicals.

Quick Reply: Engine detailing - Engine brite, etc?