Notices

Wax experiment!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:41 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Wax experiment!!!!!

I got a guards red 928 hood from a friend who was parting out a 1987 after it was wrecked......the paint really isn't that bad...but there was quite a few bad scratches in it..... My goal was to test some popular waxes over time to see how they hold up....the waxes I tested are

Trade Secret Carnuba
Rejex
Optimum Spray Wax (OCW)
Optiseal

To start I washed-claybar the whole hood....then I compounded the whole thing using Opti compound with LC yellow CCS pads on a PC set to 6 (damm it vibrates alot).....the single stage paint is SO HARD....I was really leaning on it in some spots & it barely corrects anything.....I even tried to induce swirls by placing the buffer in one spot and leaning on it....nope...nada....nothing.....

Then I polished the whole hood with opti polish and LC white CCS pads on PC set to 5......

Next was to section off the hood into 4 sections with masking tape....

I applied each wax by hand according to the instructions......so far I can't see much of a difference...they all look good.....so I did the highly unscientific "feel test"..... the rejex feels the smoothest....followed by the trade secret, opti seal & OCW.....the rejex is noticeably smoother....the trade secret is a little less & the optiseal and OCW feel about the same.... SO to add an impartial 2nd opinion I had my wife to the feel test.....she ranked them

1: Rejex
2: OCW
3: optiseal
4: trade secret

I'll have some other opinions shortly.....here are the pics!!

After the waxes cure inside for a day I will place it outside in the backyard where it will be exposed to constant sun and weather...with daily sprinklers!! That should be interesting in a month!
Attached Images              
Old 09-07-2007, 06:45 PM
heinrich
928 Collector
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Brian good work - now spray the hood with your hose on "mist" and leave it in the sun.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, great experiment!

Steve
Old 09-07-2007, 07:07 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by heinrich
Brian good work - now spray the hood with your hose on "mist" and leave it in the sun.
H
This is a good idea....to test the beading? I'll try that tomorrow!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:31 PM
heinrich
928 Collector
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Beading but more importantly Brian, as the hood dries it will leave spots. I'd love to know which has the spots wipe off more easily
Old 09-07-2007, 09:43 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

My original theory is to leave it out on the grass in the sun-weather-sprinklers for a month.....to see how it holds up.....I move into my new house next week.....so I will put it out there next friday....it can live in the comfort of my garage next to sharky until then!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:02 PM
fraggle
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow!! science!

I'm loking forward to the results, as my '87 is that exact same color.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:52 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Do the old TV infomercial test - sandblast the hood and see which product protects the paint

Or spray the hood with lighter fluid, set it on fire, what else did they do in that commercial?
Old 09-08-2007, 12:02 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Which treatment seems to be the slickest and the best shine? This will be a great experiment...thanks!
Old 09-08-2007, 04:03 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Okay so I tried the water test & did a plastic bag over your hand smoothness test.....the bag made the three sealants all seem pretty close, with trade secret lagging a bit....the water test wasn't 100% fair since the back two areas had more of a down angle which allowed the water to sheet off better...but everything beaded very nicely....which I expect after just one day
Attached Images    
Old 09-08-2007, 05:04 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Very cool. I'd love to see you pick a winner from this group, and put it up against some more. Maybe Zaino Z2, Klasse, and Ultima?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:37 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

The bummer is I only have so much space on the hood......the paint is pretty heavily scratched, but its hard to see in person..... The single stage paint is SO hard....almost impossible to correct with a PC....it might take a rotary to fix it.....or that new "ultimate detailing machine?" polisher
Old 09-08-2007, 09:14 PM
useth4z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the Optimum products have larger beads. Is that because they were sheeting?

I say experiment with the rotary, you already have a scrap hood. The PC just takes too long for correction, it's best for spreading waxes and glazes.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:07 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by useth4z
Looks like the Optimum products have larger beads. Is that because they were sheeting?

I say experiment with the rotary, you already have a scrap hood. The PC just takes too long for correction, it's best for spreading waxes and glazes.
I am leaning towards rotary too......since most of my waxes are applied by hand anyway... I might be able to get yet another practice hood after this one?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Jmakado
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may just be the angle but is that an 8" pad you are working with? If so, that may be why you are having some issue getting the cut you want out of a PC. A 6" pad will do much more work on a PC. Sorry to distract from the purpose of the thread but I just thought I would add that in case it's something you havn't thought of. Anyway, nice work and keep the updates coming!

Quick Reply: Wax experiment!!!!!