Cleaning Aluminum Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:53 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Aluminum Wheels

I'm not terribly into concours/spending hours to detail, but I do have a question on cleaning wheels.

I stripped the lips of my cookie cutters (think classic Fuchs, just not forged) last year, because the clear coat was hazing horribly. I now have bare wheel lips that look fairly good from 5+ feet away. As you'd expect, brake dust accumulates very quickly on a shiny surface, and tarnishes it a little. To fix this, I apply P21S metal polish, which shines the wheels nicely. Still, I daily drive this car, and get around to really cleaning the wheels about every 2 weeks. Some of the brake dust stains the lips, particularly on the front wheels.

I have found that dipping a little steel wool in a solution of car wash removes the staining quite nicely. However, I am concerned about "sanding" the metal and unbalancing the wheels. Is steel wool acceptable, and if not, what is recommended?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't use steel wool. You're basically cutting into the metal and creating grooves for where the dirt and grime settle in.

Look for some English Custom metal polishes. They clean through a chemical cleaner and not so much from abrasives which is what you want with bare metals....unless really bad and you're using a polisher and pad.

Anthony

Quick Reply: Cleaning Aluminum Wheels