Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default cloudy / blush paint

I thought I would float one out there for the detailing exerts -
I just picked up a 968 cab to add to my list (94 w 55k miles). I went over the paint (midnight blue pearl) with some 3m polish (machine) and then 3M hand glaze followed by some carnauba wax. I got rid of the minor swirls / scratches and the surface gloss is real nice - but the paint shows a blush or cloudy finish in some areas. The paint is original.

Any ideas? I am not a paint expert...I usually worry about the driving part - but this car is real sharp and worthy of a nice finish

Thanks
Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
I thought I would float one out there for the detailing exerts -
I just picked up a 968 cab to add to my list (94 w 55k miles). I went over the paint (midnight blue pearl) with some 3m polish (machine) and then 3M hand glaze followed by some carnauba wax. I got rid of the minor swirls / scratches and the surface gloss is real nice - but the paint shows a blush or cloudy finish in some areas. The paint is original.

Any ideas? I am not a paint expert...I usually worry about the driving part - but this car is real sharp and worthy of a nice finish

Thanks
Congrats on the find

Personally I think your problem may lie in the "glaze" application. I hate glazes, there is nothing good about them....I've never liked them, in short they suck! OKay, now that I have that out and everyone knows where I stand on that subject let me explain why.

Glazes, especially the 3M Hand Glaze, are loaded with oils intended to give a lot of gloss and also hide imperfections but this comes at a price of your sanity as those oils just "float" around on the top surface and get trapped between your paint and wax and they can cause these patches.

Another possibility is that some areas have been repainted even though you state it is original. I recently did a Porsche which was thought to be all original until I found a "blend" where it was painted. This gave a look of a cloudy area in the paint.

My suggestion is to wash it, clay it and then take some time to just polish the paint properly, avoid the glaze. Then use a nice sealant or wax to protect your polished paint.

Do you have a picture of those areas you can post up?

Anthony
Old 06-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought that it might have been a bad repaint - but there is only one quarter that has been resprayed and the milky color shows up in various areas - both repainted and original.
The midnight blue paint is tricky to work with – in one light it looks like a near perfect block and in other light the blue sows up…and in the worst light the milky blotches show up.
I can take some pics tonight.

Quick Reply: cloudy / blush paint