Notices

Wax Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:24 PM
gab997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax Recommendations

I am not that happy with the current wax I am using. I am looking for more depth out of the paint and not getting the results I want. The current was I am using is a carnuba based wax. I have read Klasse/ Zymol/ Zaino etc. provides with an excellent finish. Also, would like feedback on any experiences on wax enhancers?
Old 06-09-2007, 12:13 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

This is a product line that doesn't get a lot of "press", but it sure is user friendly and they have a broad range of very nice products

http://www.1z-usa.com

No affilitations etc
Old 06-09-2007, 05:12 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I've had some great results with optimum products.... www.autogeek.net and www.topoftheline.com both carry them..... Opti-seal is a new product that provides great long lasting shine & is really easy to use

Heres a link to some pics
https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care/351756-zone-7-concours-may-20th-next-week.html
Old 06-09-2007, 02:01 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

gab997 - you may be coming at this problem from the wrong angle

It's less about products - more about technique and paint preparation

A well prepared car can take pretty much any of the 'last step' products, and look stunning.

Some may last longer than others - but the quality of the finish will be very very very similar, and probably indistinguishable between products.

I'd focus on how I prepared the paint - wash, clay, polish - and then just pick a last step product that gives me the longevity I wanted between re-treatments.

Suggest a review of the techniques on Autopia would be well worth your while, before you drop any $$$ on products.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-perfect.html
Old 06-09-2007, 04:17 PM
gab997
Racer

cd,

The following is the process and material that I used on my last detail.

Wash with griots car wash using sheepskin mit.
Griots clay with speed shine, rewash car.
PC applied Son-450 Polish with white SFX-2 pad, removed via hand.
PC applied Best of Show Wax, removed via hand.
The result was good, but feel that the results could be a bit better. Want the car to really stand out.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:30 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gab997
cd,

The following is the process and material that I used on my last detail.

Wash with griots car wash using sheepskin mit.
Griots clay with speed shine, rewash car.
PC applied Son-450 Polish with white SFX-2 pad, removed via hand.
PC applied Best of Show Wax, removed via hand.
The result was good, but feel that the results could be a bit better. Want the car to really stand out.
Looks like you have a good prep routine.

So how does the paint look after the final polish and before the wax?

With the Swilrbuster Polish you're using, as long as you work the polish out until it goes almost clear, you should be left with a deep shine and very good color depth. I do prefer the Swirlbuster Swisstex pad over the SFX-2 pad.

You could do a final polishing pass with a very mild polish such as the SFX-3 in the Sonus product range you're using

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-430.html

Use a mild pad, like the blue SFX-3 pad

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-sfx-3fp.html

Your last step product should then enhance what's already there.

Sealant may well be the edge your looking for, and I've had excellent results using the Klasse high gloss sealant directly after the Swirlbuster product, and it's again using the same acrylic technology that's in your Swirlbuster product.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/kus-kls-gla.html

Gave my guards red a deeper wet look than the Pinnacle carnuba wax I had been using - and it does last a hell of a lot longer!

Applied using the PC and a blue SFX-3 pad in a very very very thin layer.

Did I mention how thin the layer was?

Let it haze up, then go back and do a 2nd layer - without buffing the first off.

Let it haze up, then buff off.

I use the PC again for this - either use MF bonnets over a soft pad, or a PC wool pad, to get the dried Klasse off the car.

I think you'll like the results.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:28 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Instead of wax you can use Opti-seal spray. It blows my mind how easy it is to apply. I also use the optimum spray wax sometimes. I have a can of Mothers wax paste, but it won't be getting as much play time on my car - I am hooked on the opti-seal and optimum spray wax. I read some good stuff on this forum and decided to go with the full Optimum line up (bought a PC machine too), and all is well.

The optiseal is really different - you use a very small amount to do the whole car - maybe 20 sprays or so. Hard to believe, but it works really well - deep shine and the water beads up for at least a month. I have been spraying on more of this opti-seal, just because I felt like it, so I won't find out how long one application will last, but I read that you could actually expect 6 months - not sure if that would hold true for me since I use a pressure washer at the best local car wash joint. Sponge and bucket just doesn't cut it around here. (We have real dirt here, if you saw how dirty all the cars are here, you'd be shocked I am sure)

The Optimum spray wax also works well, and this one also has the advantage of not marking up the trim - easy to apply for this reason too.

With these 2 Optimum products, I can't think of a reason to go back to the traditional Carnuba wax in the tub - the spray carnuba seems to be just as good, maybe better? I'll eventually use up all the different products I have on my shelf, the Mothers wax was just fine, but I suspect that Turtle wax would also be fine - Carnuba is great stuff, but I think Carnuba is Carnuba. Anyways - if you try the opti-seal, I think you'll be blown away. I don't have any connection to the company.

Perhaps the true aficionado's can add to this. Also - note that my C4 is silver, and that's a very forgiving color and I am easy to please. Someone with a darker colored vehicle might have an opinion with more weight than mine.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:01 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As was alluded to earlier Process over Product, the best wax / sealant over an improperly prepared paint surface will actually make it look worse.

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care/327389-polymers-and-carnauba-wax-differences.html

Polymers and Carnauba wax differences:
Chemically it is a molecule formed by the chemical union of five or more identical combining units called monomers. The Polymer and waxes used for detailing are semi-solid; they are actually a very concentrated solution in an organic solvent or aqueous emulsion.

Basic components; although somewhat more complex than other products, waxes and sealants also involve just basic chemistry, when a formulator designs a wax or sealant, they consider several factors; ease of application and removal, cleaning ability (if required), depth of gloss or shine, durability and resistance to detergents / soap.

Unfortunately, no one wax or sealant product can meet all of the above characteristics. If one is emphasized and enhanced, it will be to the detriment of another. For example, increased durability means that application and removal can be more difficult. Or, if cleaning capability is emphasized, the depth of shine will be less. The best wax or sealant to use is one that provides as many of the characteristics as possible to achieve a shiny, durable finish.

Note- many waxes and polymer sealants actually look better after an initial post-application wash
Old 06-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

I have tried most waxes available and ended up using malms extreme wax on my porsche and malms regular wax on my other cars.Very easy to apply and remove leaving a deep shine...and the company is a pleasure to deal with.My 2 cents.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:12 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

After reading this board and then their website, I purchased the Zaino line. I must admit though that I did not realize how involved the process really was. Additionally, I thought that working it by hand was ok, it turns out I should use a machine for best results. So, if someone in the Central Florida area is not busy and wants to point me in the right direction on how to detail the car, please send me a note
Ron
Old 07-06-2007, 08:11 PM
bstaneland
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
After reading this board and then their website, I purchased the Zaino line. I must admit though that I did not realize how involved the process really was. Additionally, I thought that working it by hand was ok, it turns out I should use a machine for best results. So, if someone in the Central Florida area is not busy and wants to point me in the right direction on how to detail the car, please send me a note
Ron
Ron,

I met you at Winter Park on 6/23. One of the guys that regularly attends the CFE meets is Karim (Steve Fritz). He details alot of the cars that frequent the CFE meets. If you come to the next CFExotics meet on 7/28 I'll be sure to introduce you to him (not just a plug for the meet ). He has started using Zaino.

-Ben
Old 07-07-2007, 05:48 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
Ron
From the Professional Detailer’s Directory Listing- Marcus Craft (Orlando, FL) 321-695-2213 - mcraft89@hotmail.com
Old 07-10-2007, 11:01 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Try the Chemical Guys Web site. I love their products and they give me a great result.

Jay
Old 07-16-2007, 01:33 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

My favorite polish is Werkstatt Prime Srong. Very potent very glossy.
I'm not partial to any sealant in particular but Poorboys EXP seems to be easy on and off.
For toppers I like FK1 1000P high temp paste wax, lasts very very long. like adding another layer of clear coat.
For a bi-weekly boost I like Optimum Spray Wax very nice but a little pricey. you get what you pay for..
Also good for boosting is Duragloss Aqua Wax from NAPA sores for only $8. Maybe the best bang for the buck I've seen since I first tried Klasse.
And I don't drive anywhere without hitting the whole car with FK1 425 ultra slick quick spray. this is the Mobil 1 of detailing. Paint, glass, dash, wheels, everything. You must have it as an LSP (last step product).
as you can see I like a variety of brands that are good value and compatible with other brands.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:21 PM
GBGT
Advanced

Just got done using the Wolfgang High Gloss Sealant and I am quite impressed. I have been using Pinnacle Sovereign. The Wolfgang sealant is easier to install than the Pinnacle. It leaves an extremely slick finish. It is very shiny and has great depth for a sealant.

Last edited by GBGT; 07-23-2007 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Wax Recommendations