Can I defeat these swirls?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:27 AM
signal
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I defeat these swirls?

Can I defeat these swirls?

The front of my car (bumper, hood, fenders) was recently repainted after an accident, and the paint shop took a rotary to it, and really swirled up my entire car. I let them try to "fix" it, and that probably made things worse.

I have a PC machine, and I tried to attack yesterday with Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover (orange pad) followed by Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish (blue pad), speed was around 4.5/5 and was not successful. I buffed off with MF by hand, not sure if that matters

Will this need a rotary to correct? Or can I just change course and try something different. I have seen some good things about the Swirlbuster sonus pad, but not sure if thats going to give me enough to conquer this.

I would take it to a "professional" if I could find someone that I trusted, alot of people in the Yellow pages are just mobile detailers that slap some mequires on your car and really don't understand things the way some of you pros on here do. I am confident once its leveled I can maintain it, but just need some advice.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:40 PM
awahl63
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Which orange pad are you referring to? Lake Country/Wolfgang? Do you have a yellow cutting pad? You should bump the speed up 6 and add about 5-10lbs of pressure on the PC. Work small sections (2x2 area) and work very slowly (1 inch per second).
Old 05-25-2007, 12:57 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 748 Likes on 391 Posts

Those swirls are pretty deep. To truely eliminate them, they will need a high speed polishing by a detailer that knows how to and has the skills. You can attempt to polish with the PC and should make it look better. Try using Menzerna's 106FF and Final Polish. You'll need Lake Country's orange and white pad. Use the orange/106FF combo first and keep the PC @ 5-5.5. Then follow up with the white/Final Polish and keep the PC around 4.5. This should make a difference. An optional step would be to polish with the LC grey pad and a pre-wax cleanser like P21S or Zymol HD-Cleanse. Then wax by hand. Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:09 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Time to look for a pro detailer who knows what they are doing!
Old 05-25-2007, 03:50 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

I also have a black car and the "bumper" areas are a bit different, perhaps due to the flex agent in the paint? Anyway, to add to what Moe has said, you might want to try to focus on a smaller area--say 1' by 1' and do a couple of more passes with an orange LC pad with 106FF and if that doesn't work try bumping it up to Menzerna's Intense Polish, then back down to 106FF with a white LC polishing pad.

Based on the pictures you've got not only swirls, but water spotting too. As Moe said, you should be able to get some more correction via a PC.

HTH
Old 05-26-2007, 01:26 AM
signal
Racer

actually water spots arent a problem, I use double filtered water. But before I took those pictures it rained and the sun dried it up on my car so thats why you see the spots.

I have wolfgang pads, orange, blue and white. I don't have 106FF, but I do have the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl polish. I probably didn't put much pressure when doing the PC as I don't want to hurt anything, and I kept it at 4.5 cause it just felt safe. Based on what you all are saying I need to put some pressure into it, work slowly, and up the speed to 5.5/6 or so.

I am in contact with a really good detailer, who works on mostly exotics, I am meeting with him sunday to look over the car, hopefully he can fix this up so I can just do regular maintenance like waxing and cleaning.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:36 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful when working on the bumpers, or any 'plastic' parts.

The flex agents in the paint will cause it to cloud when aggressively polished, and that's not the look you're going for.

Light polishing only for these areas.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:56 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Be careful when working on the bumpers, or any 'plastic' parts.

The flex agents in the paint will cause it to cloud when aggressively polished, and that's not the look you're going for.

Light polishing only for these areas.

A (trusted) pro detailer could be you best bet
Old 05-29-2007, 01:34 AM
tdekany
Advanced

to the OP: I apply waxes at higher sppeds than you use for trying to remove paint!

Bump that pc up to 6 - even then it may not do the trick. 106ff is an excellent polish.

I aggree, get an "autopian" detailer to help you.

Quick Reply: Can I defeat these swirls?